mikedan1

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just bought a 65watt sopt light from homedepot for my yard, it has a 65 watt 6500k lamp in it. Do you think this could be used over a small reef? it was $30 with the lamp.

S

Satchmo

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Yeah, it will look quite yellow. Plus corals are better adapted to use light at a higher color-temp. And you'll likely run into increased algae problems with a lower Kelvin bulb like that. I would just buy a 50/50 bulb (10000K & 03 actinic) and you'll be all set for a lower-light reef. www.hellolights.com is a good source. Have fun

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I was reading about logicals setup and he uses these for propagation. they are a great price and resist water well. oviusly you would want to hook up anothe light with actiunic. they are also great for refugiums. these guys are talked about A LOT on nano-reef.com

sci33

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mikedan,

I'm assuming you're referring to the 65 watt LOA (Lights of America) brand light. If so, you should make some modifications to it just to be safe. Some overheating issues have been documented, and a quick solution is to just take it apart, remove some excess stuff, and drill holes in the top (the outer casing, not the clear part in front of the light).

- Mike

Toe'Knee

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I was just checking out the same light on the HomeDepot web site. And I see people was saying that its too yellow, but let me ask this (maybe this is a stupid question or something) can you use the fixture from homedepot and just get a 50/50 bulb from hellolight.com? Cause they have a few fixtures(home depot)that would fit the types of tanks I want to set-up but I see you guys didnt think it was good enough for a nano tank so hit me off with some info please.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: