Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I was doing a water change just now. I have a little filter bag hanging on the end of the pipe going from the overflow into the sump to keep debris from going into the sump. And as I take the bag off to clean it...I see there's something in there. At first I thought it was a snail. But upon closer examination ... that's no snail! :bigeyes2: What is this thing? For now I'm keeping it in a bucket with a ph. Forgive the pix, but my camera sucks. I couldn't get it to focus on the object I needed focused: it kept making objects around it sharp. Anyway, the shell is very hard and very smooth; I had a tough time getting traction on the tweezers to move it. The underside is fleshy. There are whiskers sticking out. Is it good? Bad? I don't remember getting it from someone!

Attachments

• Unknown1.jpg
    Unknown1.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Unknown2.jpg
    Unknown2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

glipper69

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
it looks like a stomatella, They breed like widefire. I found one a couple years ago there must have been more because I now have babies and adults all over the place. it's a pain in the ass too because the damn babies are always jamming up my beckett on my skimmer.

Good luck,
Frank

hannahsmom

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with that color spot on top looks like a cowry snail to me. If it is a stomatella the shell will be flat and the snail body will be long and come out of the shell like a tail if it is a cowry then it will stay underneath the shell and the shell with be large and rounded. Sometimes they have a type of skin that covers their shell looks like and eyelid.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: