Myopia

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to culture Phtoplankton in 2-Liter bottles, would you guys think people you buy some? If it does good, I think might try so I can keep a source of small income for the reef im going to start, I would also keep it affordable. Reccomend a price range if you can per 2L bottles. If it goes really well Il start doing in Gallons. Dont know if people need Phytoplankton.

Myopia

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically know what I need in order to start, just don't know if the investment I make on this will be worth it. I did a quick search and saw a 20 oz bottle here go for $10, I found that pricey for such a small bottle.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Myopia said:
I did a quick search and saw a 20 oz bottle here go for $10, I found that pricey for such a small bottle.

Have you priced out DT's phyto? Last time I bought it (to start my cultures) it was $9.99 for a 4 ounce bottle. So compaired to paying $50 for Dt's, I think $10 is a deal for 20oz.

But once you start making it, you'll quickly realize that you're making more than you can use. So you start selling it. Or giving it away. That's what happened to me!

But Since my initial investment was $10 for the culture, and $2.50 for the rigid air tubing and I sold one bottle for $10, I'm not out of much. Then I got busy with work and the whole culture crashed, so I packed it up and I'll start a new one later. But I won't use DT's, I'll start with a different set of starter cultures and make my own mix. Without the diatoms (damn you DT's!)

B

Myopia

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bad coffee said:
Have you priced out DT's phyto? Last time I bought it (to start my cultures) it was $9.99 for a 4 ounce bottle. So compaired to paying $50 for Dt's, I think $10 is a deal for 20oz.

But once you start making it, you'll quickly realize that you're making more than you can use. So you start selling it. Or giving it away. That's what happened to me!

But Since my initial investment was $10 for the culture, and $2.50 for the rigid air tubing and I sold one bottle for $10, I'm not out of much. Then I got busy with work and the whole culture crashed, so I packed it up and I'll start a new one later. But I won't use DT's, I'll start with a different set of starter cultures and make my own mix. Without the diatoms (damn you DT's!)

B
That's exactly what im afraid of too much plankton, where in the case it only lasts a month in the refridgerator(sp?) or so. I think it was you who sold that bottle for $10. But yeah if i start with two bottles Ill have 2 more every week. I was planning on going with DT's but ive heard some negs from them, besides them what others are there?

Last edited:

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Yeah. DT's got smart and put diatoms in their culture. It's not bad if you just dose your tank with it, but if you try to grow it (as I did) you end up with more diatoms than actual phyto. I was doing this really long filter/settle proscess and it wasn't worth the time and effort.

Google "phytoplankton culture" and you see what's out there.

B

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I was actually trying to filter out the diatoms and leave the phyto there. I poured the phyto into a large mouthed jar and let it settle over night. Then I syphoned the phtyo off the top of the jar, leaving the diatoms at the bottom. It worked pretty well. But next time I'm using a starter culture.

Josh Gave me an actual phyto filter. My batch crashed before I got to use it. I don't have any info on it, but I'm sure if you sent him a PM he could tell you what exactly it was.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: