jrodjordan

Elway for President!
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How many Reefers use a Cannister filter (i.e Fluval 404, ehiem pro) in addition to your sump & refugium?

If NO, why? what size tank?

If Yes, why? what size tank? what type of media do you use?

Last edited:

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Take it out, you should be able to tell by the gunk that stays inside that its just accumlating waste and intoxicating your water, especially if it has filter pads

LFS advice doesnt really count for much in these parts :D

For the most part,
They just want to sell sell sell
We just want for it to live live live

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
In a tank with live rock a canister filter serves no purpose other than forcing flow through chemical media. You don't need any biorocks etc in the canister. The one thing I don't like about canisters is they trap detritus even if it is ony chemical media in there.

IMO they should not be used on saltwater aquariums.

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use Ocean Clear filters with a mechanical pleated cartridge on some of my reef tanks. I change them once every 4-6 weeks. They're nice because they polish the water but you have to keep up with changing and cleaning. It can get expensive and it is labor intensive.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Sean said:
I use Ocean Clear filters with a mechanical pleated cartridge on some of my reef tanks. I change them once every 4-6 weeks. They're nice because they polish the water but you have to keep up with changing and cleaning. It can get expensive and it is labor intensive.

I always wondered about those pleated cartridges. How nasty do they look when its time to be changed?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i made that mistake on the cannister filter about 5 months ago when i entered the hobby. it was an ok filter but u have to clean regularly. its a pain in the butt.. go with live rock, live sand and a great skimmer all the filtration you gonna need. alot less work. hehe

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: