movingreefer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently became interested in setting up a reef tank but will be moving several times in the next few years. I've read a few good books on the hobby and almost all of them say the bigger the better and that small tanks are not for beginners... I have also befriended a small honest conscientious marine fish store owner in central NJ who suggested a nano tank. Any suggestions or comments on the nano tanks would be appreciated.

THanks!!

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Welcome to Manhattan Reefs!!!!!

Nanos are good tanks, something in the 10g range would be pretty easy to set up and you could get by with weekly or bi-weekly water changes. Moving them might be a problem cause you would disturbing the tank a few times but I think it would be ok.
-Kris

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
nano reefs really are surprisingly easy to set up/maintain. make sure you get a good auto top off system going and get an ice probe chiller to help w/ heat issues. i really like the look of my 16g AGA bowfront- the minibow 7g is also pretty cool.

simplest set up i can think of would be a 10g w/ an aqua clear 70 HOB filter (w/o any media) to act either as a mini 'fuge or to hide all your stuff like heaters/probes/ice probe chiller/carbon bag/etc. get a remora skimmer and an ATO unit and you are set to go! about 20lbs LR, 10lbs LS would look nice and help keep ur natural filtration up. make sure not to put more than one fish (maybe two tiny ones at MOST).

nice nano themes are blasto farms/anenome species tank/zoo garden, etc. i have a mix of things go and its great except for the fact I would love to have something bigger- i've run out of space and can't really get anything new! but i'm moving in 6 months or so and don't want to be bothered w/ anything larger.

movingreefer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store owner i know said he would tweak the filter (he makes his own) that it comes with (not sure which brand he's getting them in this week) and I was thinking about adding an on the wall or below refugium so i could have twice the viewing pleasure and less maintenance.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
yeah- i wish i had room for a fuge. i honestly don't seem to have a problem w/ water quality though. i have been pretty bad w/ water changes lately since I was really busy over the last month or so- but I think the carbon, skimmer, and my xenia and clam (not to mention the large amount of hermits, etc. for detrius) really keep the water pretty clean.

good luck w/ the set up!

coralcrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
97   1   0
honestly..as much as nano-cubes get made fun of..i think they are great tanks...i would not go for anything above a nano cube 12...the 24 gallon crack..but i have a 6 gal nano cube sitting on my desk in college..it is so easy to take back home....also if you are a good DIY you can mod the heck out of it..i am planning to take my nano-cube 6gal and put MH...that will take some time but will be worth it..i should be studying for my finals :) anyway hope that helps...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: