Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I would like to know what you all think about placing a yellow and a purple in a 58gal tank?

I have this funny idea I know what is going to be said, but I want to see it.

I was thinking of finding two smaller fish. I was thinking if I added then at the same time, I would be less likely to have any issues.

????

Thanks

Rich

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
There probably going to fight. Yellow tangs can be some what aggressive and usually will start the fight.

Size requirements are also going to depend on how much rock you have in the tank as alot of rock will take away a good deal of space. You could get a small size, one or the other but not both, and you should be fine.

R32Brightliner

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Not a good idea. I remember someone saying that you shouldn't put two tangs from the same genus but different species together. Both those guys from zebrasoma genus.
Or better put, if 2 tangs are similar in shape but different species, don't mix 'em together...

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I said get it and take your chances:)

Here is prof you can do it if you know what to do
all_tangs.jpg

Phyl

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've got a yellow and a purple in both my 120 and my 65. The pairs do fine in both tanks. The tangs in the 65 were rescued and were "larger" fish and put in together. They get along swimmingly. The tangs in the 120 I had the yellow first and added the purple (much smaller) some time later. They get along well too.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Of the two.... which do you all think would be better suited for the 58?

IF YOU HAD TO PICK ONE!

I realize the tank is recommended to be 48" + in length. But if someone had a yellow and a purple and said you can take one or they are both gonna get squashed... and you can nly have one... which one would you all take?

jawwad2004

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Rborgia said:
Of the two.... which do you all think would be better suited for the 58?

IF YOU HAD TO PICK ONE!

I realize the tank is recommended to be 48" + in length. But if someone had a yellow and a purple and said you can take one or they are both gonna get squashed... and you can nly have one... which one would you all take?
I would go with the yellow tang personally, but I would put her in last because they become very terrotorial. Its happened to me, she killed my copperband and sailfin, you have to get something larger for it to coexsit.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Rich

I have a yellow tang from samsky in my 70 and she's doing fine. Basically the same dimensions as the 58 but taller. I do plan on setting up the 120 in my basement once its finished at which point I'll transfer her to the 120.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: