KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Have you tested your Alk since you raise the Mg so high?

One thing to remember - you shouldn't raise MG levels quickly (by more than 100ppm per day) - so therefore you shouldn't lower it too quickly either!
Small water changes daily to bring it back down :)

Last edited:

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Ok guys quick update. mag is at 1650ppm will do a water change sunday. That should put me were i need to be but on the plus side im getting koralin like crazy right now coral doing better. I will update on sunday when i do the water change to see were im at. Thank guys for all your help.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
If you're Mg is 1650 and one water change is going to bring it to 1350 then you're not adjusting your parameters appropriately. You should always be raising or lowering your Mg, Ca, Alk, SLOWLY. Lowering it from 1650 to 1350 in one day is much too fast.

swimmer

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I'd leave it along for a while, just carry on with normal water change schedule(if you believe in water changes :lol2:). People purposely raise Mg to over 1600 in hope of getting rid of hair algae, I have not read anyone nuked a tank from it.

You should use Salifert or Elos, Red Sea test kits are junk.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
I'd leave it along for a while, just carry on with normal water change schedule(if you believe in water changes :lol2:). People purposely raise Mg to over 1600 in hope of getting rid of hair algae, I have not read anyone nuked a tank from it.

You should use Salifert or Elos, Red Sea test kits are junk.

ditto. i had my mag up in the 15-1600's for a while due to my stupidity ....wrong dosing calculations. if i remember correctly, you shouldn't raise or lower mag more than 100ppm a day.
red sea test kits work just as well as my 7 yr. old.'s chemistry set.....lol.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: