ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Hey, does anybody have any suggestions on what would be the best hang on skimmer for my new 30 gallon BB tank. I don't want to set up a sump, and would prefer to have a hang on skimmer instead.

Thanks in advanced! :)

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My choice for "cheaper" skimmer would be remora pro
If you have cash to burn it would definitely go to the Deltec MCE 600 - that skimmer just kicks ass!!

IconicAquariums

Iconic Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
MCE-600 - i had one a while ago. Kicked some serious ass. Was really nice since the pump didn't go in the tank, which is a big peeve for me.

Tunze I think 9010. I kinda like having them in tank. After Xmas i plan on getting on to replace my Coralife piece-of-super-sh!+, unless i hit the lotto, then i'd get another deltec.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have to say my remora still puts out a ton of microbubbles- even after 6 months. I thought it was b/c it needed cleaning once- so I did so and ended up w/ even more bubbles!!! Works really well but it does get annoying- I have to cut a filter sponge and place it on the outflow lip to catch some of the bubbles.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i've had mine for 6+months now and it cannot still be breaking in- is there some setting I can adjust? I can see the bubbles spilling out of the unit- like it isn't level and some don't go up the correct chamber and instead flow up the outflow chamber. I've leveled it using a lever and I can't get it any straighter so I don't know... any suggestions?

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Reefer420 said:
i've had mine for 6+months now and it cannot still be breaking in- is there some setting I can adjust? I can see the bubbles spilling out of the unit- like it isn't level and some don't go up the correct chamber and instead flow up the outflow chamber. I've leveled it using a lever and I can't get it any straighter so I don't know... any suggestions?
Use the skimmer box. Marrone is selling them. That will solve the bubble issues.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Come to think of it, after mine broke in, I did have a problem with microbubbles. That was due to Stress Coat still in the water column from the initial tank setup. I did 2 water changes and the bubbles stopped.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i dont use anything like that- i do use phyto (which I turn it off for). I did buy the skimmer box but it was way too large for my small tank- so I sold it on ebay.

any other adjustments that might be needed?

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
No problems with my Remora Pro w/ mag7. No micro bubbles, and seems to skim pretty well. Jut don't get that super dark skimate.

So does anyone have more info on the Deltec MCE600? I am seriously considering this skimmer since i don't have to look at the ugly power head in the tank :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: