grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Beware!!

Hey guys,
Listen to me and abide by buyer beware. All I can say is be careful. I made the mistake and bought an sunburst anthias from him. I know quarantine quarantine!! I made this mistake once and learned my lesson as many other hobbyists have learned in the past. It only takes one time to learn this valuable lesson. I now have a quaratine tank set up in my basement. But in the process i lost the anthias which developed ich. I watched helplessly as my mandarin suffocated due to the ich. I also lost my brazilian gramma and my four spot wrasse. May they rest in peace. After changing my uv bulb ,constant water changes, hyposalinity, raising temperature and feeding them garlic I was able to save the rest of my tank. Couldn't use copper due to invertabrates. Everything is ok now for about three months. No scratching and hopefully anything I do add now after initial quarantine will not develop ich. I went back to confront the owner nicely and he told me that the ich was my fault cause it was in there from before. Is he kidding me. He also said get this that mandarins do not get ich. What a crock!
What I'm trying to say is be careful because when I went back ther were fish that were scratching in his tanks that I didn't notice when I made the initial purchase. Once again please quarantine people!!! I cannot stress this more. I dont like bashing stores but please BEWARE of this establishment. I'm just looking out for everyone because lets face it this is an enjoyable, addictive and expensive hobby. Nobody deserves added stress and a hit in the pocket.
Thanks

Last edited:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
grknyer said:
Hey guys,
Listen to me and abide by buyer beware. All I can say is be careful. I made the mistake and bought an sunburst anthias from him. I know quarantine quarantine!! I made this mistake once and learned my lesson as many other hobbyists have learned in the past. It only takes one time to learn this valuable lesson. I now have a quaratine tank set up in my basement. But in the process i lost the anthias which developed ich. I watched helplessly as my mandarin suffocated due to the ich. I also lost my brazilian gramma and my four spot wrasse. May they rest in peace. After changing my uv bulb ,constant water changes, hyposalinity, raising temperature and feeding them garlic I was able to save the rest of my tank. Couldn't use copper due to invertabrates. Everything is ok now for about three months. No scratching and hopefully anything I do add now after initial quarantine will not develop ich. I went back to confront the owner nicely and he told me that the ich was my fault cause it was in there from before. Is he kidding me. He also said get this that mandarins do not get ich. What a crock!
What I'm trying to say is be careful because when I went back ther were fish that were scratching in his tanks that I didn't notice when I made the initial purchase. Once again please quarantine people!!! I cannot stress this more. I dont like bashing stores but please BEWARE of this establishment. I'm just looking out for everyone because lets face it this is an enjoyable, addictive and expensive hobby. Nobody deserves added stress and a hit in the pocket.
Thanks

Thanks for the advice on quarantining! But, I wouldn't go so far as to say, "Beware". Many fish stores mentioned on MR have reputations for sick fish, yet with a QT, losses can be minimized.

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
it was ick for sure. Started with a few spots inthe begining and slowly but surely it was all over it. Watched it gasp for air and waste away. :-(

cieman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i went into the store today. Wasnt impressed by either the show tank or coral tanks. Saw a kole tang being killed by some other tangs, dont know how it was still alive! Owner didnt seemed to worried about it. Saw fish rubbing against rocks. Some nice fish if they were healthy. The owner was walking around smoking over the tanks as he fed them!

nycmat

nYo
Rating - 98.2%
55   1   0
hey guys its me mat. i was there today in the store on this thread. After speaking with the owner regarding this matter there is one thing that the thread failed to mention. That anthias was a special order according to him. if that be the case that in itself is buyer beware. Now if the fish became iched from the order-- the guy did it right by putting the fish in his system at the owners request. this guy made a special order for one of us we shouldnt as a group make quarrels with owners who make orders for us. I know the owner and he does feel bad about the experience regarding the special order, but lets not forget it is a business, and if he is kind enough to make a order for one of us and get you what you want and then put it into a system at your request i dont think he should be bashed about that.

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
the aquarium industry is tuff. Most people can't find good help and the stores suffer. Clients go in expecting to pay little and dont realize the high price of the hobby. Theres a final line between making money and being ethical in this business. For most people on this board, we'd like to walk into a store and see Atlantis, but most average people who arent hobbyists dont care. Just my opinion from working in the hobby

MPISCIOTTI

Rating - 95%
19   1   0
all i can say is that Simon is a very nice guy. i have bought some fsh from him and they are fine.. i even traded him all the live rock in my tank for fresh live rock he is a good guy do not bash him....

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
guys its only one persons opinion on a bad transaction. thanks for the warning and the quarantine info. quarantining is always a good thing to do. but for now just state your experience dont bash the store. ill give ya an example, you own a marine fish store and u have a customer come in. he buys what you bought either special ordered or was in your show tanks. gets it brings it home all happy and then the livestock developed ich. either it be from the fish stores tank or his own tank. would you want this person to come back to you and not publicly bash you to 1000 MR members. lolz. dont take this personal at all i just want you to see a point. well i guess thanks for the warning. i will visit this store soon and see whats poppin in there. hehehehe. <<<EVERYONE HAPPY REEFING>>>

were is the store located in brooklyn. anywhere near bensonhurst or like 18 avenue.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i stopped by that store the other day. when i went it wasnt anything special but they had stuff. lolz. they just opened recently right. thats why im not so mad on what i saw. ill give em some time. now i have somewhere to go after i go to my pizzeria in BK. hehe Lolz

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Ich is one of those things that can happen irregardless of where you get the fish. Ich is brought on by stress. Stress from shipping to the dealer, stress from it being caught and bagged and stress from it being acclimated to your tank.

The best cure for ich is a cleaner shrimp. Once ich blooms in a tank it will pretty much affect every fish in the entire system (even if you have UV) because it is a closed system and the Ich cysts(?) fall to the bottom of the tank and as part of it's cycle eventually make it up the water column.

Unfortunately cleaner shrimp and wrasses (as well as hawkfish) do not mix. That is why I do not consider wrasses and hawks to be truly reef safe, because a reeftank without a cleaner shrimp is a major risk. It is a BAD idea to ever medicate your reeftank, our reef aquariums depend on their good bacteria, and anything that will kill a fish disease will wipe out a good portion of the good bacteria.

-Alfred

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: