cieman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the tank is either a 90 or 120. I am having hard and soft corals. some fish.

the tank length is 48 in.

Question: Never had halidces before,

what kind of halides do i get? are vho's better? T5?

How many? Wattage? Type of ballast?

And if they go inside the canopy how is this best done?

all replys are greatly appreciated!

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
A 2 x 250watt set up would be great on the tank for a Mixed Reef.
You could go with 10K's(EVC, BLV, Reeflux) and supplement the tank with a few URI Super actinics(VHO's).
Ballast would be your choice, but I think most people prefer electronic. Not sure what brand though.
Get yourself some retro fits if your going with a canopy or you could get 2 pendents and just hang them in the canopy.
-Kris

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
halides are suppos. to be the closet light to the sun. great for corals. gives off mucho heat. depending on how you want your tank to look if you want it a little more blue with a shimmer 14000k bulb would be great.

i would go with 2 250 watt 14000k metal halides.

vho is second to metal halides. they are very strong lights but dont give off the heat that metal halides do.
there are more people here who can explain everything alot better then me here. hopefully this helps you a little bit.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
yea def. im actually going to do up a nice 75 gallon setup the right way this time. hehe. building it into a corner of my basement. its the reg. 75 gallon. going to do a custom canopy with 2 250 wat MH retro's and 2 40 watt actnic bulbs. i think this will look good. plus i will be adding at least 4 to 6 fans. either 2 or 3 bringing the air in and 2 or 3 bringing the air out. shouldnt have a problem with heat.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
yea def. im actually going to do up a nice 75 gallon setup the right way this time. hehe. building it into a corner of my basement. its the reg. 75 gallon. going to do a custom canopy with 2 250 wat MH retro's and 2 40 watt actnic bulbs. i think this will look good. plus i will be adding at least 4 to 6 fans. either 2 or 3 bringing the air in and 2 or 3 bringing the air out. shouldnt have a problem with heat.

Thats gonna be a lot of fans and that means evaps gonna be a pain in the royal behind. I've got one fan working in my canopy a 4inch radio shack computer fan. And sometimes if i remember i turn on my sump fan. No problems with temp at all a little in the summer but then i just turn on the other canopy fan and its set :D.

If your gonna do 2 x 250 those NO 40 watt actinics aren't gonna make a dent in the color IMO. The halides would just "drown" them out and you probably wouldn't notice them. Go VHO or T5 for supplements. If you want VHO you could get a retrokit for just about $100 at hellolights.com

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: