nycfatcow

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
ive recent had a lot of red cyano algae in my tank...so i just bought some red slime remver from petland. Dosed it accordingly.....my tank is now kinda yellow...does that color go away with time? should i shut off the skimmer? do iu have to do a water change eventually..??thanks !!

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
It wil clear up soon ,But you should try ,Chemi Clean ,that stuff kicks A$$ on red slime

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
Yeah ,you have to shut down your skimmer it makes it go bonkers .and your UV if you have one

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
You should be careful using antibiotics and/or chemicals in a reef tank.

The best cure for cynobacteria is to address the problem. There are a few things you need to check:

Is your skimmer working properly? (How big is your skimmer? How much stuff do you pull out?)
How is your water circulation? (Do you have some type of occilating heads or a powerhead controller that keeps the circulation going in the tank and avoids dead spots?)
Do you have enough liverock and livesand for your bioload? (This is often overlooked- in a reeftank LR and LS ARE a big part of the "filtration")
Do you have enough critters that stir your sand and keep the ditritus off of the rocks? (Serpent stars, turbo snails, sea cucumbers, hermit crabs, etc.)

-Alfred

nycfatcow

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
hmm...alfredo...i just got the remora C skimmer for my 75 works great....a have a lot of circulation....have around 100 lbs of rocks....and about 70 nassirus snails...and also i head antibotics dont hurt the tank any how..?

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
A reeftank is an enclosed ecosystem that depends on bacteria to function properly. (Liverock and Livesand work because of bactertia) Antibiotics not only kill the bad stuff but also the good stuff. Once you wipe out much of the good bacteria in your tank, it is a roll of the dice what will replace it. Also, you wont wipe out ALL of the cynobacteria (Some cyno is good for your system anyway, it is a naturally occuring bacteria that is beneficial to the ecosystem) and it can come back even worse because the good bacteria is not in high enough concentrations to keep the bad stuff at bay.

Also, when using antibiotics you REALLY need to have a powerful skimmer to handle the dieoff and oxygenate the water. I treated my tank 6+ years ago for RTN (Rapid Tissue Necrosis of SPS corals) and used some pretty powerful stuff to try to save them. BUT- I had an ETS-1000 skimmer.

-Alfred

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Oh, one more thing to check- temperature. If your temp goes to high it may be contributing to a bacterial bloom.

If you treat the symptom instead of the "disease" the "disease" will eventually come back.

-Alfred

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: