noodleman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hey can anyone tell me whats going on with my maxima clam? It was perfectly fine yesterday and when i woke up this morning part of the mantle looked damaged or pinched, I see a piece of damage flesh dangling around also. Could this be a pinched mantle or just somebody nipping at it? And any suggested treatments? This clam is still reactive to light and movement, still extends except for that little part. It's not a new clam either, had him for almost a year now. No signs of phyrimidal snails. Also my 5 other clams are perfectly fine.
heres some pictures...the spot is near the upper left of the clam...
DSCF0382.JPG

DSCF0381.JPG

DSCF0380.JPG

DSCF0379.JPG

thanks guys

noodleman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
ACtually taking a second look at the clam...doesn't look pinched at all...I think something try to take a bit out of him cause he's starting to extend fully again minus the piece missing. Well the dangling flesh fell off and now looks like it usually does all extended but part of the mantle is missing a "C" shape piece.
the fish i have are...but never seen any of them bit my clams
pair of false perc
fiji yellow belly damsel
6 line
2 bangiji cardinals
algae blenny

I'm thinking its one of the hermits.

thanks guys for the help, any further suggests always appreciated :grouphug:

p.s.
still not good with the picture thing

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
I doubt a hermit crab could "scissor" out a chunk of mantle from a healthy clam. Although it would be able to "pinch" a piece off now and then, the clam would close up, preventing continuous pinching. Unless, of course, you have a hermit with claws as big as the missing mantle chunk. I would keep an eye on the fish, if you're sure it's not pinched mantle.

Dean

noodleman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
well heres a pic of it now after 2-3 hours since i saw it this morning
DSCF0383b.jpg

the clam is aprox 2 inches, so it doesn't have to be anyth big to take that chunk out of him. Oh yea a frogspawn shouldn't be able to sting him right?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: