lokitosweetlips

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok well i want my tank running its best for my fish. so big question whats best stuff to put is it live rock , bio dirt, crushed coral sand , tell me im confused i just want a good running tank that i dont have to go nuts because of ammonia or nitrates.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
well once your tank developes and matures like mine i no its only like 5 months old but i dont have any traces of ammonia nitrites or nitrates. so with enough live rock and a good skimmer and enough water movement you will be set. umm i wouldnt use crushed coral this again is just my opinion. i would just use argonite sand. and throw in like a cup of someones established sand from there tank. again this is only my opinion. get as many rec. as you can then throw em all together and come up with a plan. lolz good luck

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
No on the crushed coral - if you're going to do fish only with live rock in the tank, I would do live rock or rubble (smaller pieces of live rock).

I also would not overload the wetdry with rock - that will also potentially cause a nitrate/detrius trap.

Also, believe it or not, much depends on how many fish you plan to have, and what those fish are? Feeding habits, poop etc need to be taken into consideration

All very confusing I know, but you'll get through it.

Here is what I would need to help better guide you with my thoughts:
1) Size of tank and tank type (fish only, mixed reef)
2) Tank substrate (Sand, bare bottom, plenum)
3) Live rock? and how much?
4) Exactly what fish you plan to keep and how many
5) Any additional filtration info - Skimmer?? Size of skimmer?

Sorry to be a pain, but this is really good to know before giving advice.

House

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
BTW i see your new to this site, you might also be new to the reefcentral.com site, it is a virtual library and its search function will help a ton in finding alot of the info you need from every perspective.

IMO never use bioballs, they trap detritis (crap) and produce nitrates and phosphate from the decaying crap, If I were you dont put a substrate but just larger pieces of rock and maybe some macro, pods will live in those conditions just fine, no need for sand, which can also trap crap over time. also put a filter sock on the return for your tank to catch crap before it has a chance to decay.

to recap,

Crap is not meant to decay
bio balls are crap heaven
gut it out use it as a sump/refugium
catch crap from accumulating at all costs,saves you headaches

thats my solution on the wet/dry to sump conversion

of course a good (not seaclone) skimmer and WC along w/ proper feeding and dosing should make everything happy and healthy

rememer KISS works wonders

BTW
keep it simple stupid

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: