samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Ever since i went Bare Bottom, my tank's PH never go over 8.0, usually stays around 7.8-8.0 and when my calcium reactor is on, it'll just bring the PH even lower. Would the low PH be due to the fact, that i no longer have ph buffer from the sand, or something else? Would dosing Kalkwasser solve my problem? And would there be any problem if i dose kalkwasser and run my CA reactor simultaneously? I need your expert advice, thanks so much.

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Sam,

Test your alk and your calcium level. You lost your pH buffer when you switched. It happened to me. I started using Seachem pH buffer and B-ionic to get it back up until it got stable again. What are your other parameters ? Everything works together.

Kasei

Nsr250NYC

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Anyone using the Kent Marine PH Buffer? i have a bucket sitting at home and don't know how to use it. is it really necessary for it? i don't think i need it so i might just sell it. so what do you need to bring up to maintain proper PH?

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
michael chu said:
how about water change every week 10% or month
i was same problem
but i 'm ok now after change water every week with in month

Yeah, i do that every week or two week, 10 - 20%, it's been low for a while.

Deanos said:
Low pH

The article addresses both the kalkwasser and calcium reactor questions.

Thanks for the link, seems like it's possible to do both. Thanks Deano :)

gil716 said:
interesting, i had the opposite experience. with a 3" sandbed, my ph rarely broke 8.0. now with a BB, i'm hovering 8.1-8.3.

Gil,

How's ur tank doing, that's good, just the range i want my tank to be at...hmmm, i wonder why.

solbby said:
What is the salt you are using? Do you test Mg? it may be too low.

No i haven't test Mg for a while and i'm currently using Instant ocean, will test in 5 minutes and be back with the result.

Pseudo said:
Sam,

Test your alk and your calcium level. You lost your pH buffer when you switched. It happened to me. I started using Seachem pH buffer and B-ionic to get it back up until it got stable again. What are your other parameters ? Everything works together.

Kasei

Kasei

Doing the testing in a minute and be back with the results.
Ever since i switch over to barebottom, my ph are low so i stopped the calcium reactor but perform a 10-20% water change almost every week to replenish ca and alk.

I'm planning to dose kalkwasser to buffer it back up, what do you say? Thanks

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Mg is your problem, you have no buffering capacity in you tank. I would get the Mg up (slowly) and not add too much (if any) Kalk.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: