D

DEEPWATER

Does anyone use a diatom filter on their tanks.
I would like to get more info on this ,I really never hear anyone talking about this and would like to know if it is ever used or just a another mumbo jumbo.
Any input on this would be great ,if you use it ? how many times a yrs or bi-monthly ? What are the out come of using this filter?

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Ronen, if you want to borrow mine to try it, you are welcome to.

it is used to polish the water whenever desired.

i used to run it for a few days a month.

it is a bit of a hassle to set-up.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I have one ,just asking when to use it
I have the easier one .Not the 2 tubes ,that one is a BIG PITA

Last edited:
D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
alrha said:
oh, whenever you feel like polishing your water (before you have guests, after making a mess with sand/rock, etc.)
Polishing? My tank is crystal clear.that is my question ,When shoud i use it ,How do i know its time to polish off the water if my tank Crystal clear.
I do a 5 to 10 gal water change in the middle of the month,and 15 to 20 gals at the end of the month.So im confused
I have a 90 gal tank 29 gal sump .with all the rock i have in the tank ,I may have a total of 70gal of water.Only feed my tank ,2 cubes a day,which does not last even a min in the tank before consumed

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
janey said:
Hey Ronen How can i get my water crystal clear >???
and which diatom filter do u have ???
what is not clear your water ?. what do you mean not crystal clear?
Do you have things floating in your tank or water in not a clear color(yellowish)
are you using carbon ,or maybe try Chemipure you can find that in petlandI run carbon 2 weeks out of the month ,and ploy filters every other month
change 5 to 10 gal bi weekly and 15 to 20 every end on the month.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
janey said:
Hey Ronen How can i get my water crystal clear >???
and which diatom filter do u have ???
add a micron sock to your sump within a couple of hours the water will clear up eliminates micro bubbles also.

Diatom filter is not worth the money or the hassle. you can buy 25 micron bags for about 5.00 a piece buy 4 they are washable easy to swap out and work well

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
NYPDFrogman said:
add a micron sock to your sump within a couple of hours the water will clear up eliminates micro bubbles also.

Diatom filter is not worth the money or the hassle. you can buy 25 micron bags for about 5.00 a piece buy 4 they are washable easy to swap out and work well
YEs ,one thing i found out they are very hard to use ,if you have the XL diatom filter.I have the System 1 diatom filter pretty much plug and play ,no need for the long tubes and siphoning or charging .But like i said ,i never seen a reason to use it .My water quaity is and was alway good.Just remembered that i have this stored away doing nada.So is pretty much another pc of equpitment not needed. :sigh1:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
DEEPWATER said:
Polishing? My tank is crystal clear.

You haven't seen crystal clear until you've polished it with a diatom filter. I'd be surprised if you could filter free-floating ick parasites or the algae that causes green water, with a micron filter sock.

If I remember correctly, the powder used, is removing particles LESS than 1 micron in size.

Mechanical Filtration

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Deanos said:
You haven't seen crystal clear until you've polished it with a diatom filter. I'd be surprised if you could filter free-floating ick parasites or the algae that causes green water, with a micron filter sock.

If I remember correctly, the powder used, is removing particles LESS than 1 micron in size.

Mechanical Filtration
Just hooked up my diatom on my tank ,man this thing is simple ,just put in the diatom powder and plug in ,Much better then that XL type ,that is one hard Diatom filter to use.
System one diatom is the one i have heres a pic

Attachments

• filtersystem1.jpg
    filtersystem1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 44
D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
FRY said:
how did it work ronen

frank
To be honest ,I didnt see a diff,hmm ,but only ran it for 1 1/2 hr for the 1st time ,so i really cant say.only thing it was easy as hell to hook up ,lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: