mikedan1

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im upgrading my lighting for my 29 g reef, Currently i have 4 55w pc. Im going to a 150 hqi, i was thinking about going with the 20000k ushio, does anyone have any feedback on this lamp,thanks.

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
a lot of peopel seem to like uit because they don't ned to use supplemental actinic, but you already have the PC to supply actinic. I don't see the advantage in a 20kk.

sci33

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know I never really did understand why people said if they have 20k's they don't bother with actinics. Whereas, if you were using 20k's I would expect you'd need actinics more than if you were using 10k's.

I have been doing some reading/research and have gathered info.. 10k's are high in the violet spectrum of light, while 20k's (as well as 65k iwasakis) are high in blue light. Regular PC blue bulbs (fake actinics) are full of blue light as well, but true actinic 03's are very high in violet light. So infact if you were shooting for a full spectrum of lighting, and you were using a blue bulb such as 20k's , you'd want to supplement with a violet bulb. Following that guideline, I have heard people with a mix of 20k and 10k mh bulbs over their reefs get amazing colors. BTW, although iwasakis produce a yellow light, they are high in blue light (as well as green/yellow light), but they are a bit lacking in other spectrums such as violet light.

- mike

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
sci33 ive been thining about using the 20K ushio myself, Ive also seen alot of poepel use raduims with actinics so peopel do do it, I only have 2 MH on my tank so i dont know how to get an even spread of 10K and 20K or i would do it.

HAve you put the 20K on yrou tnak yet?
Do you think once you do that either you could post some pics or better yet let me stop by one day and check your tank out?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: