Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Has anyone ever seen a Coldwater tank (are there cold water corals?). I have always thought it would be cool to get one of those lobster tanks supermarkets hold their lobsters in and create a coldwater tank. Or even use a similar tank and make it a touch tank, or top-down viewing tank.

I saw a similar tank up in Mystic, CT. at the aquarium there- it was pretty darn cool (wasn't cold water though)!

Any 'alternative' tanks out there?

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
friend of mine did a cold water tank with lots of local wildlife, he found some nice orange sponge, pink purple anemones, theres some nice cool looking blennies locally.
at work we had a tank with local spieces

need to keep in below 70 degrees in summer you'll get a lot of condensation on the glass it can be done

PS some cute little local crabs get big and ugly

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
thats pretty cool, i have to find some pics online of a tank like that!

anyone here ever attempted a touch tank like they have in the aquariums? some of those are actually set up pretty nice and look great!

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I'm sure there are a # of people on RC that have them as in certain area of the contry it's probably easier to keep on of those than a regular reef tank.

I know they are people that build Lobster tanks for stores and they always seem to have very cold water. You may want to check out a couple of places, supermarts also, as I'm sure there is a label of the place that made the tank.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
well I'm not actually thinking about building one yet- I'm just curious to see if anyone around the area had one. the idea of it has always seemed cool to me- especially the touch tank.

nyoneway

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The only cold water thing I think it's very cool is the Chambered Nautilus... now that's some awesome looking prehistoric looking alien creature... I saw near where I work in Greenwich House of Fins and it was amazing.. even better than their shark tank...

nautilus.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: