Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well I decided today would be the day to start testing the water. I started the tank and added the LR two weeks ago. Here are my test results as of now: (all tests done with Salifert)

Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 82f (I really need a chiller)
Ammonia: <0.25
Nitrate: 25ppm
Nitrite: 0.1ppm
PH: 8.1-.82
Calcium:380
KH/Alk: 10.6 / 3.77

Now I'm not 100% sure about the KH/Alk. According to the Salifert paper, it would mean I'm pretty high. Can you guys give me some feed back... are things looking normal for the second week?

here are some shots... only thing edited are the sizes of the image...

Full tank:
Algae is visible and started growing. I didn't want to touch it till after my tests:
fullrock.jpg

Some Rocks:
Various types of algae and some nice coraline colors: (What is the read, hair like algae tahts growing? good or bad?).
Rock1.jpg

Rock2.jpg

rock3.jpg

Thanks

also, i'm not too keen on that whole syringe testing method Salifert uses for KH/Alk and Calcium, anyone have any better test solutions?

Rich

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Since you don't have any corals in the tank I wouldn't worry about testing for Cal or Alk until the tank is fully cycled and you start to add corals. It look like your on your way as the ammonia and nitrites are starting to come down to zero and then you should see a build up of nitrates.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
House of Laughter said:
Looks nice - get a clean up crew in there asap for that algae

House

Even with my parameters the way they are?

I have one coming in tomorrow for my 30, which I can put in the 58 instead.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks Marrone and House... my clean-up crew which was ordered for my 30 gal holding tank was rerouted to the main tank today when they arrived. They all seemed to have survived the trip and are now happily eating away.

Rich

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: