Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2005, 11:59 AM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
i'd be surprised if the air was getting in thru the locline segments, that stuff seems to snap together real tight. did taping help?
Old 12-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Reefer Ratings: (20 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahner
Paul, do you have a picture of the tee/gate valve in your drain?
Here you go. I took this a few minutes ago.

Click to enlarge

Im still working on everything but I have socks on the outputs. I have one on the skimmer output because i want to see how much stuff the skimmer doesn't catch. And I have another over the vent to catch anything that doesn't go into the skimmer. Only a trickle of water comes out of the vent, but its pointed down towards the sump in case of surges and so the air is not released very close to the bottom of the wood the tank sits on.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:30 PM
nYo
Reefer Ratings: (33 (97%)
Friends: (25)
Send a Private Message
micro bubbles are back in my tank again. any suggestion i have all the filter socks in place i even put one on the return for the skimmer to no avail.

nYo the best damn clan in COD4, MW2, BO, MW3

Jaba Fett , broncsyanks, PHILY!!! PROPS, deanos < salute >, Widdy, Fish Ballz 4 U!

The best damn clan. This Patron's for you!!
Old 12-31-2005, 02:38 PM
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (163 (100%)
Friends: (33)
Send a Private Message
It is really tough to tell from those pics - are there any baffles in the sump? in relation to the skimmer? and in relation to the exit?

House

Old 12-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Laughter
It is really tough to tell from those pics - are there any baffles in the sump? in relation to the skimmer? and in relation to the exit?

House
Nope, no baffles. The exit is behind the skimmer to the left about 12". I don't even need the socks for bubble control. When I didn't have the socks on I put an elbow on the skimmer exit pipe to point the output towards the right side, which you see in the pics. I'm running only about 200gph from the tank to the sump but also have circulation within the sump. The sump is a 30gal, I forgot the exact dimensions, but the footprint is probably 36" by 12".

Having the vent helps alot. The faster the water, the bigger (or multiple ones) tee you should have. You want to open the piping up (start of larger tee) to slow the water down, give the air a chance to rise (middle part of tee pointing up), and then force the water back into a smaller pipe (end of tee) hopefully pushing as much air out of the water as possible.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmat
micro bubbles are back in my tank again. any suggestion i have all the filter socks in place i even put one on the return for the skimmer to no avail.
Do you have a pic of your sump?
Old 12-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Australian
Reefer Ratings: (16 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
Taping the lockline doesnt seem to help so now i am thinking a need to reduce the flow through my sump, currently its pretty fast at around 700 gph, in a 36 gal tank thinking of knocking it back to 500 and seeing if that helps.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron
Taping the lockline doesnt seem to help so now i am thinking a need to reduce the flow through my sump, currently its pretty fast at around 700 gph, in a 36 gal tank thinking of knocking it back to 500 and seeing if that helps.
Have you tried any of my suggestions?