nycfatcow

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
i just set up my MH yesterday with alvin....put on the canopy and everything...i am worried about the lights getting wet due to evaporation...is this a safety concern? cause when i opened the canopy today...the two small vho ballasts were wet and pretty much everything inside was wet including the bulb....

joe

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
u might wanna put like a glass shield over the bulbs somehow,
or acrylic, though it might warp and bend over time.

iff water splashes on the halide bulbs, it can shatter them also btw, so i would recomend covering them with a glass shield somhow,(itll pritect from water splash, and its easy to cleen)

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
nothing should be wet, especially the ballasts. Unplug it and redo it before you do some serious damage. Ballasts should be outside of the canopy on the floor, back or top of canopy. Do you have pics of the inside of the canopy?

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Yea wet ballasts don't sound right and as Rich said inside the canopy is the worst place for them.

My bulbs dont have glass over then and they never get wet. They're pretty high up about 11 or 12 inches of the surface. My VHOs are about 3 inches off the water and they're never wet either.
-Kris

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: