danlou69

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
everyone has such nice pics up of their stuff. how do you guys do it? all off mine come out blurry and hazy and show too much movement. please advice...

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
get a decent cam lol...with macro mode...
1) nano said get yourself a tripod....one of those lil screw on plastic type is good enough.set it on a good spot,
2)hold down the "shoot" button to focus it....and if you could...
***Hint*** set it on a 2 second delay so you can move your hands out of the way before the cam takes the pic, that way it's absolutely still...goodluck

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Most digital cameras these days have decent macros (the flower icon), also some have anti-shake features which are quite good at getting rid of those blurry shots.

Try using a very steady table or chair even and you'll see 50% better shots, read the manual and you'll see the other 50%:).

danlou69

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
yeah i just bought the sony cybershot 7.2 megapixel. still trying to figure out all of its features. a tripod...great more money to spend. i'll keep on experimenting. thanks guys.

P

Pedro

Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I must add that you don't always need a tripod. If you shoot at a high shutter that eliminates any handshake. The only thing is you need a good flash if you go that route.

Overall though if you are into photography, definately invest in a tripod.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
they're not that expensive, if your camera has this screw thing on the bottom, you can go out to sears and buy a 10 dollar metallic one they sell. about 4 inches high...put it on a chair or stacks of box or like me, on a table next to the tank and you're good to go :)

R32Brightliner

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Sounds like you ned a tripod if you've got the shakes with your pics :)

As Pedro mentioned, you could use a fast shutter speed but then you have to fool around with the flash. A way to beat this is to use a fast shutter speed but use a fast lens (short focal point which allows a lot of light into the lens without using a flash) which can be done with an SLR camera. True macro zoom lenses are the way to go...but too expensive for my pocket :)

fas917

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Also make sure you are parallel to the tank and your subject is 90 degrees to your focus points else the glass and water will distorte light. As mentioned use tripod or highter shutter speed and higher ISO. My 2 cents :D

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
fas917 said:
Also make sure you are parallel to the tank and your subject is 90 degrees to your focus points else the glass and water will distorte light. As mentioned use tripod or highter shutter speed and higher ISO. My 2 cents :D
the lens has to always be 90 degrees to the glass? how do you take angles shots then? (say of a clam for example when you want to get an upper angle facing down)

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
to stop the 'blurring' you will have to increase the shutter speed. but increasing the shutter speed means less light will make it to the 'film' - so you need to incease the film speed (in film you buy in the store you use ISO 200 film for daylight, ISO 800 for indoors, dark- etc.). My old digital only goes to ISO 400, so getting good pics is really hard since it is not fast enough to have a high shutter speed.

Also- the more depth you want in your photos (you can adjust the apeture from 2.8 to 32+ on good cameras - the higher you go = more depth of field) the less light gets to the film, so a higher speed film is needed as well. An apeture of 2.8 means just the things in front are in focus- the higher the apeture the more things in the photo are in focus (and can lead to a more 3-d look to a 2-d photo).

Macro mode on digitals is needed to get those close ups (or a macro lens on a normal camera). Add a polarized filter to the lens to get rid of glare on the glass from lights.

You can also help get rid of glare by turning off other lights in the room.

You can also play around w/ adjusting the white balance, etc. on the camera to adjust the photos and get the most realistic pics!

I'm not that great at explaining things so hope that helps a little. Lots to play around w/ - I really love photography. wish I could afford a new digital!

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
are you talking about pics for a hobby- or just for fun? A digital SLR is the way to go if you are serious about taking good pics, but not good for taking around to parties, etc. I think cannon makes one thats under $1,000. But for everyday photography I think any well known brand w/ at least 5mp will suit you fine.

I'm not an expert, but I would look for a camera w/ a good range of shutter speeds, film speeds, and a good optical zoom (digital isn't all that great IMHO). The more the merrier as you will be able to take pics in more situations. I like the casio slim digitals, but I haven't really been shopping around lately and don't know any new models.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
i love my Sony DSC-T7, it is really a very nice and slim design (which is my main concern). I am not a photographer, so i cant tell you how good it is, but i trust that Sony makes good quality products. I just like that its small and convenient to carry around on vacation and trips for pictures (easily fits in my pocket). They also sell a waterproof case to take underwater pictures when snorkeling or at the beach/pool.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
jawwad2004 said:
What would you guys consider to be a decent camera? If I were to get a new camera, I wouldnt want to spend more the $350.

i have a canon sd400, slim and can take to parties or use for reef pics (decent macro mode) . perfect for what i use it for. paid about 250 for it new. they might have come out with a new model

Last edited:
P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
For all around pics a simple point and shoot will do. But if you are serious about it, you have to go slr. Nikon and canon are the top choices there. Also keep in mind that with slr's, it's not so much the cam, but the lens you put in front of it!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: