DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Chris5 said:
and yes i am re using sand maybe thats why,

House of Laughter said:
Also, did you use the old sand from the 30g? If so, this could also be the root of the problem.

BINGO! was thinking that while I was reading the whole time

how much did you reuse? by reusing large amounts of sand even if you washed it youll still get hydrogen sulfide in your tank, talking from experience here....it will make your tank CRASH!, is your tank stinky by any chance?

IMO you need to cook some of your rock for a bit (just to get rid some of that algae), and while your doing that remove your sandbed and replace with all new sand (southdown is now old castle $5= 40lbs) and use about a 1/2 cup of old sand to repopulate, (rocks usually can do this too)
then when you get your skimmer restart the tank, and everything should be ok for you to put in your fish in a couple of days

thats how i did it for gf's tanks, although she went SSB so she can vacuum it out

and to reiterate use only RO/DI water

good luck homie!

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
BTW how much flow do you have in your tank?

IMO flow is like having fresh air constantly moving, it keeps everything healthy and if you have a sump w/ filter sock preferablly it keeps the crap from settling and decaying on your sand

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Flow isnt a problem i have a quiteone 3000 good for 780gph with 3 powerheads going, and i did recall reading the post about the sand problem but hope that wasnt that case, still a big job if you ask me how to fix this thing at this point, and actually as we speak my tank is turning green again after that major water change....I might be better off downgrading to be honest back to my 30 and giving this tank to someone who can make it happen better than i can.....and yes my skimmer is running very wet i guess you can say i am getting more water/foam than just gunk ....is there anyway to fix that on this skimmer?

I am not being negative just trying to be logical....i mean cooking the rock and changing all the sand thats alot plus i dont have a spot to put the fish for the time being.....i might have to think this one through guys.....and to be honest money for a big skimmer may be a problem.....=(

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
actually if your looking into buying sand since you shouldnt use the old sand you have i was in petsmart and they have like a 25lb bag of really nice sand for like 10.00 cant beat that. and you no it will be fine for your tank. no silicates. and its cleannnnn.
if you want to aid in the cycling part take the uppermost portion of the old sand in a small quantity and u can put that on top of the new sand. just my .02 C

i wish you didnt live so far i would of def. helped ya out.

just because of your title under your name
italian mafia member..... me 2 Io sono Siciliano. lolz

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
actually if your looking into buying sand since you shouldnt use the old sand you have i was in petsmart and they have like a 25lb bag of really nice sand for like 10.00 cant beat that. and you no it will be fine for your tank. no silicates. and its cleannnnn.
if you want to aid in the cycling part take the uppermost portion of the old sand in a small quantity and u can put that on top of the new sand. just my .02 C

i wish you didnt live so far i would of def. helped ya out.

just because of your title under your name
italian mafia member..... me 2 Io sono Siciliano. lolz

LOL....I appreciate it Tony (and hey us sicilians gotta stick togetha)....as well as everyones help.... its a job alright just have to find the time bc the water is not getting any better at this time.....i think that may be my last option and than from there only time will tell.....question though where do you guys throw out the sand? regular garbage?

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
sometimes a storm drain

I usually put garbage sand into a bucket and dump it down a storm drain (sewer drain in the street). I believe that all the garbage and stuff that washes down them ends up in the ocean so it's always seemed logical to me.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Alfredo De La Fe said:
1. I have never heard of Oceanic salt. Use Instant Ocean, unless someone here can comment on Oceanic?

2. Reused the sand from what type of system?

3. Your skimmer should be putting out brown gunk. If it is clear with "foam" it is running very very wet. For an ASM skimmer check: http://championlighting.com, give them a call and speak to Gary, he can help you.

-Alfred

Oceanic is all I've ever used. Been two years with it. You'll never have to dose any Calcium or Mg for that matter either.

If you reuse sand from another tank, don't dig deep into the old tank. Try to take the top 1" from the existing tank and use that to seed your new sandbed.

ASM's are great skimmers. You might be set back a few $$ though. A decent in-sump or HOT skimmer is the Coralife 125 or 220 for your size tank. I use the CSS 65 for my 16 gallon. Skimmate is a nice dark coffee color.

Russ

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
chris dont give up, i started a tank saltwater tank i early 70 and it failed just started it again couply years ago and im sorry that i missed out on all that time with this hobby,iv learned so much here at MR with all the good person here to help you with anything that it makes this hobby a great joy, hope you keep at it everything has its up and down,

frank

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: