nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Yup I bleached a superman monti. It was 20 inches below the surface to begin with and now its about 23inches down. Its as close to the bottom as I could go to get it on a rock. Polyps only have color at the center and the monti itself is white. Now is there anything I can do to help it get back to its nice color? It's somewhat of shade, or is waiting the only option?
-Kris

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Kris don't feel bad, this happened to everyone I tried (3 of them). I don't know anyone in our area who has long-term success with them

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
ditto, my rainbow died too from getting bleached as well

what i found out is that whatever does end up growing in your tank,becomes "tank-raised" and usually more hardy than if you got a part of a WC

from the small piece left of mine (larger colony died previously), it bleached and mostly died but I have the ring of new growth left. its bleached but its coming back good.

Recap
WC S. or R. Monti = sucks
Tank raised = good
:p

hopefully you can bring it back, and its growth will be your saving grace no matter what JME

jenniebutterfly

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
oh crap, that sucks, but you know what, suddenly a few of my corals bleached as well.

so far a yuma, monti, that yellow with blue polyp monti, and a few others. very weird. mine aren't completly white, but they are really lightly colored. gonna do a wc tomorrow and see if that helps a bit

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Kris, if it has any flesh left alive you can bring it back. One thing I'll ask though, do you have any peppermint shrimp or crabs in the tank with it? They are very opportunistic and you might not see them do it, but they will jump all over a stressed coral with any flesh on it.

If you can possibly put it in a lower light area with some light diffuser cage or some other DIY type of protection you might have better luck. Lower light with no access to it from predators could help you bring it back.

I no longer have any peppermints in my tank because they almost totally destroyed a beautiful Blasto that I've got. House (Jim) saw the Blasto, it's nice but recovering.

Good luck,
Russ

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I read somewhere that dosing iodine can help bleached corals restore themselves. Cant remember where at this point but i can loook it up when i get home.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Russ,
I actually do have two peppermints, the only time I've seen them jump on a coral was when I first put it in the tank or move it around. They just love jumping on my hand, gives me the goosebumps. I'll keep an eye on it for anything like that. I have no crabs so I'm pretty safe there.

Jen, That sucks. Funny its just this one piece too, hopefullly it can right itself.

Aaron, I does iodine once in a blue cause I dont want to overdose on it. This is like once a month or so.

Day 2 of the Monti recovery project looks promising. Polyps along the outer edges are out in full, not the best color but they're visible more than before. Hopefully if nothing else makes it the outer part of it should survive.

I'll try to get some pics every week or two, to show recovery or an even slower death.
-Kris

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Kris, I don't think Aaron meant to dose iodine. That is not adviseable, unless you test for it. However, removing the problematic coral/frag and doing a Lugol's dip can be very helpful. Lugol's solution is just an iodine base. Seachem Reef Dip is a similar product. Many people will dip new corals in the Reef Dip as a preventative measure.

Good luck,
Russ

BTW - the reason your peps jump on any newly introduced corals are because anytime you introduce a coral it WILL be stressed to some point. The peps sense this and they are opportunistic in the sense that they know the coral isn't going to be as healthy or aggressive in defense of itself.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: