Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well since my tank is almost completely cycled, I have placed my CPR LArge Refug on the back and put in 5 pounds of Miracle Mud. 5 pounds only gives me about 1 inch of depth. How deep should this stuff be?

I know... I'm gonna hear... BB is the way! I dont care! I am using MM.

Thanks

Rich

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Dsb

Anthony Calfo ( wetwebmedia.com ) is a huge proponent of the DSB. According to Anthony anything above 1" but below 3" is asking for a disaster. Also keep in mind that a 4" DSB will not be 4" in a years time as the calcium disolves etc. Thse are the numbers for sugar sized granuels only, the smaller the grain the lower a bed you need.

As far as having sand in a HOB fuge there really isn't enough surface area for denitrification especially with only 1-2 inches of sand. Even if you bumped that up to 4 inches you still won't see much. (Plus you wouldn't have much room left) HOB is better suited for macro algae although if you really wanted to MUD would be better for denitrification in a HOB then sand.

Just my 2 cents. Advise is free for a reason right? :icon16:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: