RonsterNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I have a question that I need help with. What is the preferred length of time corals should get light? I have 250w MH and many people tell me different things. Someone told me the more light I give the corals the better it is, as in the ocean they get light at least 12 hours a day. Then, someone else told me to keep the T5?s on for at least 12 hours with the MH for only 2 to 4 hours a day. I am not sure which is right, but I am hoping to get some input as to what is preferable. Many thanks!

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Just think of what is happening in the tropical reefs. Throughout the day the lighting changes and everyday there is an intensity highpoint.

The best way to do it would be to have T5 on a dimmer that gradually get brighter followed by the second set of T5 firing up to increase intensity. To represent mid day sun the MH fire up for approx 5 hours before going back to the T5s in reverse. The entire thing should last about 11~12 hours.

icecap has ballasts that can be dimmed for VHO & T5. A good place to look at what successful tanks are doing is to go to the reefcentral tank of the month threads. Almost all of them have a similar sequence.

Just follow nature lighting patterns. There are plenty of people that have healthy tanks growing sps beautifully without the halides on for twelve hours.

RonsterNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I am currently running my T5?s from 7 am to 8pm and the MH are running from 11:30am to 3:30pm. I also have moonlights running from 7:30pm to 7:30am. Should I be shutting down the T5?s when the MH are on or does what I am doing sound good?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Ron, unless you have a super low nutrient reef, a standard 6-8hr MH photoperiod will be fine. T5's could be on for 10-12hrs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: