kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
My tank (with no fish or corals) went to 90 degs yesterday but I'm not sure why. Usually its 3-4 degs below the rooms temperature. Possible culprits are

1. 2 6100's streams.
2. deltec ap600 skimmer
3. blueline 20 pump
4. 40W emperor aquatics sterilizer
5. 350W won pro temp heater.

I know there wasn't a problem on Tuesday night so this happened either overnight or yesterday. Having run the tank for some months now, I'm pretty confident that 1 and 2 are not the issue. Streams barely put any heat in the water and I haven't had a problem with the skimmer (which only uses 20W) before either. The blueline 20 is only a month old but it runs off 45W; its possible that it caused the problem but I'm not leaning towards it. Now 4 and 5 are my main concerns.

So has anyone had any issues with the won pro staying on?

I have an ACII but hadn't programmed it yet to turn off the heater during a temp spike.

Thanks.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
kimoyo said:
My tank (with no fish or corals yet) went to 90 degs yesterday but I'm not sure why. Usually its 3-4 degs below the rooms temperature. Possible culprits are

1. 2 6100's streams.
2. deltec ap600 skimmer
3. blueline 20 pump
4. 40W emperor aquatics sterilizer
5. 350W won pro temp heater.

I know there wasn't a problem on Tuesday night so this happened either overnight or yesterday. Having run the tank for some months now, I'm pretty confident that 1 and 2 are not the issue. Streams barely put any heat in the water and I haven't had a problem with the skimmer (which only uses 20W) before either. The blueline 20 is only a month old but it runs off 45W; its possible that it caused the problem but I'm not leaning towards it. Now 4 and 5 are my main concerns.

So has anyone had any issues with the won pro staying on?

I have an ACII but hadn't programmed it yet.

Thanks.
I know i had a prob with oneof the pumps they sell,cant say about the heaters thou ,but the apple doesnt fall far from the tree

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
i have my heater hooked up to my temp controller ,so it only will turn on when the sensor on the controller tell it too ,,My 2cent

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Deepwater & hermangareis -

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I have my aqua controller but just didn't program it, I really should have but I'm glad this happened now with the tank empty (except for snails).

Now I'm kinda worried about the heater in my quarantine tank.

Thanks.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Paul:

I had a similar problem tonight. See my other thread. Temp got to 85 and usually stayed in the 78-81 range. Took the heater out and it is now at 82.5 down from the 85 in about an hour's time.

Which aqua controller do you have? Debating on whether to get an neptune aqua controller or a ranco temp controller.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I think it was the heater. I've had everything back on (including the uv) without the heater plugged in for several hours now and my temp hasnt gone above 76.5.

I have an acII with a dc8. I had to return the dc8 because it stopped working and they have a major recall on them anyway. My ph probe has been having issues but I think its because of the probe itself. I'm going to have to work it out before the fish come back into the tank. Other than those issues its pretty cool. Unfortunately the acII doesn't have an "If 'Object' (ie heater, pump, etc.) is on/off" command. So, for example, you can't make a command that if your lights are off your moonlight is automatically on. You can set this up using the time command but with other examples you can't. But the other ac's have this command.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I have the Won Brothers 350w Pro Heat (digital) model. And I've also had the 200w non digital model (actually two of these). All three heaters have crapped out on me in less than 2 years. Fortunately for me none of them broke in the 'on' position, so I never came home to clam chowder.

I now use the Stealth heaters (non glass). I also have a Finnex or two. So far these brands have been reliable.

There are many many threads on RC (not that that says much anymore), about problematic Won Brothers heaters.

My words of wisdom, replace any Won Brothers heater.

Russ

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Yep, the digital model crapped out on me. I had a thread about it a little while back. I came home to find the digital display reading something like 750 degrees! So the heater wasn't turning on and the temp had dropped to low 70s. Good thing I had a back-up heater! :bigeyes2:

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i'm worried about that too- I have the won 150w titianium w/ the digital box and it has been working great. but it is also easy to accidentally move the dial to a high setting and not realize it- it moved it to 82 or so the other day and the sudden increase made my corals very unhappy for the day.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Reefer420 said:
but it is also easy to accidentally move the dial to a high setting and not realize it- it moved it to 82 or so the other day and the sudden increase made my corals very unhappy for the day.

Same thing happened to me ONCE. I scotch tapped the dial in place. They are unbelieveably sensitive. If you look at the dial it moves. :lol:

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: