ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Re: Overheating

Tonight I came home and noticed my temp at a balmy 85 degrees! Usually the temp varied between 79-81 with an ebo jager 250W heater on my 70 set at 75.

I did swap out the mag7 for the eheim 1260 last night and I suspect that this could be the cause but I'm dubious since the eheim draws only 5W more than the mag 7.

So I pulled out my heater and now the temp is slowly dropping. It dropped 2 degrees in a half hour. So perhaps the heater was stuck.

Time to stir up the ranco buy or an aqua controller jr group buy fast.

Also good idea to put in fans in my canopy.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I think it's my heater. Temp is down to 82.5 now. I'm running it without the 250W ebo jager heater. I figure with the sedra 3500 and eheim 1260 that's generating enough heat. I don't plan on running it long term without a heater just long enough to get the temp back down.

I;m going to pick up two 100W ebo jager heaters and temp controller or one of those aqua jr's soon.

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
thats why i use the ranco controller as a high limit set point if temp goes above 81 it turns off heater and lights till temp goes back down i allready had a heater stay on

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Frank: Thanks. Ranco Controller: Cant live without it.

The heater was definately stuck. I cleaned it out and placed it back in the sump and it turned on when I set it at 70 and the water was at 82.

At least the temp only went up to 85. Fish looked ok but the finger leather looked stressed and it was completely closed.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I can't overemphasize cleaning heaters in distilled vinegar every month or so and having a temp controller. My fault for not cleaning the heater since it obviously had an internal meltdown.

Froggie: Thanks. I'm lucky nothing died.

Last edited:

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
My understanding based on a post from a nj reef central member is that if you don't clean them and you have a lot of calcium buildup it's like having a layer of insulation and the internal temp controller malfunctions. Not sure if this explanation makes sense but it does make sense to clean it to get the calcium build up off regardless.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
OK I'm SOL. I only have a 50w ebo jager heater that I used to heat water for water changes. My 200W is out of commission and temp is now down to 74 but staying steady which is a good thing. It was 78 when I left this morning.

THe question is what local shops in NJ can I get decent heaters and what brands would you recommend (most LFS wont carry EBO Jager). There's a petco near me but that place is worse than a LFS. Also I'm definately getting 2 heaters 150W each.

Last edited:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Cleaning the heater or heater sensor will not help in ensuring your heater won't stick.

Most heater use a bi-metal temperature sensing contact and they tend to go bad after few thousand cycles. External temp controller like Ranco or Medusa is the only way to be sure.

I keep my tanks at 78-79 in the winter and 82-83 in the summer.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Pierce

Thanks. What's strange is that ebo jager 200W heater I had was only 8 months old. There is no doubt the temp controller is the only way to go.

Do you use any other controllers like a neptune? I always thought that having for example a separate ph controller and temp controller and your lights on timers was the way to go instead of getting an all in one unit. The logic is that if your neptune goes then you are out of luck and have to get the whole unit repaired and it may not be repairable. With seperate controllers you are creating in effect a parallel configuration instead of a series configuration.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I have two neptune AC II in my system, they are more for PH, temp, and ORP monitoring. I have not use them to control anything since I setup the current system, I had built a power panel with 16 controlled outlets for my old system and everything was running off the AC II.

X-10 technology is not as reliable as hardwired Ranco, I always have a few spare Ranco and intermatic timers available for redundancy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: