masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
My comment was said with such honesty and sincerity you couldn't imagine. I'm constantly puttering and tinkering with the tank. My wife, kids, friends, everyone who sees it says, "oooooohhhhh, aaaaaaahhhhhh, how beautiful". I have to bite my tongue to refrain from saying, "but look at this or that. Or, the water is soooooo yellow, or the microbubbles or algae or whatever is just so ugly".

Other people are actually better 'eyes' for our system. To them the algae looks natural, or the water is crystal clear and the fish look like they're floating. However, us, as hobbyists, are such perfectionists (sometimes to a fault) that the smallest little idiosyncracy can actually strip away the true enjoyment that this great hobby is meant to bring to us for our appreciation.

I too am in a sit back and enjoy mode. But in your defense Paul, I have learned to 'read' my system. I haven't tested my water since January 27th, 2005. Almost one year ago to the day. When something is out of whack I know what it is by looking at the tank and its inhabitants.

So definitely learn to read your system, but don't forget to sit back and enjoy your little recreation of the wild without being critical at all times and just enjoy it for the beauty it beholds.

Peace, tranquility and serenity,
Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: