kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
So how do you get rid of those metal halide particles? Those are the floating particles you don't see with just your supplemental lighting but only with you mh's. They also don't tend to show up in photographs either but man they're kinda annoying.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Hey guys,

I can't tell if they are really tiny bubbles or just particles. But they aren't the microbubbles you get from having bubbles returning from the sump. These are actually smaller than those bubbles, like specks, and they don't float to the top.

I had a used diatom filter but thru it away because it was a hassle to use. I got a magnum 350 canister filter and setup the micron sleeve last night (I also have some diatom powder I'm going to throw in there) but this morning the little specks are still there. If I'm not describing it well, it kinda looks like floating dust. The water is crystal clear except for the dust particles.

I don't think my skimmer will do anything because its barely pulling anything now. I'm starting to think these particles are unskimmable. I have two phosban reactors attached to the tank but I haven't added carbon yet because I'm trying to work out issues like this beforehand (and before I add livestock).

You can only see them with halides, so I figured some of you either have them (and its normal) or got rid of them somehow.

Thanks for the replies so far.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Hey Paul, here's a direction I don't think anyone has gone yet. What are your Ca and Alk/Dkh levels? If they are out of whack it's possible for you to get Ca to precipitate out of solution. It would look like a bit of a snow storm.

Just a thought.

Russ

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Thats a good idea.

I did have a temp swing the other day but it was going on before that. So I just checked my alk level and its around 2.9 meg/L. I didn't bother checking my calc but I haven't been adding any yet (no demand for it) since I restarted the tank up a last month.

Does this happen with any of you guys tanks?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Calcium precipitating out of solution is not all that common. Your Alk seems fine, unless your Ca level was over 700! Then I'd think you would have a problem. If you haven't dosed any Ca then I can't imagine it would be that high.

I use Oceanic salt. Before I got heavily into SPS my Ca levels, without ANY dosing, was about 600. I still don't dose ANYTHING and my Ca is in the low 500's to high 400's.

Russ

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Could it be that your rock is still shedding debris (sand particles, etc) and that your flow is not allowing it to settle anywhere? Are you skimming wet?

Have you tried a massive water change to just syphon the particles out?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I agree with solbby. Honestly, I don't see the problem you're talking about. Your water looks clear and the only one who's going to notice what you're talking about is you. Take a step back and enjoy.

Russ

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
masterswimmer said:
Honestly, I don't see the problem you're talking about. Your water looks clear and the only one who's going to notice what you're talking about is you. Take a step back and enjoy.

Russ
Beautifully said for so many things in the reefkeeping hobby, :D . This advice applies for everything from collecting frags relentlessly to adjusting your skimmer, to trying every product/gadget out there.

I am personally in "Step back and ENJOY" mode myself, but I need to print out your statement and post it in big letters on my tank just as a future reminder for when I get the urge to tinker, :lol: .

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
solbby said:
Could it be that your rock is still shedding debris (sand particles, etc) and that your flow is not allowing it to settle anywhere? Are you skimming wet?

Have you tried a massive water change to just syphon the particles out?
I think that you might be right. I was thinking about that so I stopped the streams before I went out and a lot of it settled. Maybe they are still shedding and it will take a while to correct itself. Thanks.

I am skimming wet but my deltec only moves about 160gph and I'm direct feeding off the overflow. I have a second loop there so I can increase the sump flow thru and hope the socks catch the extra stuff. I haven't tried a big water change yet because I want to learn as much as I can about my system before I put livestock back in. So I would like to try to fix this before just doing a big waterchange.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
masterswimmer said:
I agree with solbby. Honestly, I don't see the problem you're talking about. Your water looks clear and the only one who's going to notice what you're talking about is you. Take a step back and enjoy.

Russ
I have learned that its important to have patience but I'm trying to learn about my system and how to fix problems before I put the livestock back in. Its hard to see what I'm saying in the pictures thats why I'm glad I'm finding out that you don't have this issue, so I know its not normal.

I do appreciate the help you've given me and the advice. Thanks again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: