Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Even though its really cool to look into you tank and see not one, but two new and previously unknown inhabitants in you tank- its not all that great when one looks like a mantis (can only see its eyes and mouth, it has a pinkish color...anyone ever see a pinkish mantis?), and the other is almost certainly a surprisingly large gurilla crab- (could only see the hairy legs). :eek1:

Amazing I have had this nano tank up and running since July and haven't seen these guys before! They haven't really caused any problems i can see- except i was wondering why my hermit population was getting smaller...probably my snails too.

Any thoughts on an easy way to get rid of them? I have tried the water bottle trick before- I guess i could try and grab them w/ tongs- but i was just wondering if there were other methods you guys have used in the past that worked for you?

On an aside- I had some advice on feeding my scooter blenny. Putting the cyclopeeze in a little indentation in the sand so he could eat it off the ground. Any ideas of how to do this? When I use the baster to squirt it in the hole- it all gets blown out of the hole and so little ends up where I would want it!

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
yea they hide very well. i have alot of those worms with like a million legs i forget what they call em. they have pink tips. but they havent caused a problem. my tank was up and running for 5-6 months havent seen em till the other day.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If that rock that the guys are in is easily removed just dip it in fresh water and they will scurry out. Place them in a 10 g and set up a video cam. Make movie titled Mantis vs. Gorilla.

Post video on server and let others enjoy. Make money by taking bets :joke:

The bottle thing sometimes works but not always. Tongs are usually a tough one cause they are fast. Just dont use your fingers on the mantis cause either a whack or a stab really hurts.

Your best bet is the fresh water dip. Good luck!

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
well its a pretty small mantis- i would think the crab would win. its funny- i just knew there was a mantis in the tank since I hear clicks at night- but never had any indication there was anything in my tank until i noticed my hermit population was getting smaller!

I think I might be able to grab the crab- now that I know where he his I see him whenever I add food to the tank... any one want a pest crab? Not sure if I will get him though... as for the mantis I have no idea how I will get him. He hides so deep in that hole that I really have only seen him once- didn't see him tonight. at least he isn't causing too many problems- i don't really see too much of a reason to worry about these pests right now- they haven't hurt my fish or corals and don't seem to care about much besides the hermits (and maybe snails). time will tell- will still try to get them out!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: