jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
last week I asked if sushi eggs were okay to feed to fish.

these are the little tiny orange eggs, like the size of small sprinkles.

I've been giving them a tea spoon every other day, all the fish love eating them and will chase them around the tank till they are all gone.

then I saw the coolest thing,
the mandarin was eating them!

he picks them off the bottom of the tank, so what ever falls to the marina board is his, along with the hermits.

I'm so psyched he has something else besides amipods to eat now :D
Now he's going to get truly fat :)

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
there is a local japanese grocery store around the corner from me on sulivan street between bleecker and 3rd street. I guess anywhere that sells sushi supplies will have them. the ones I bought were packed fresh, not in any water or oil's, just loose in a plastic deli container.

I can't recommend this as a substitute for having the proper live food in the tank for a mandarin. you still need and established tank with a large amount of live rock, to support the amount a mandarin eats all day. it's horrible to watch one starve, make sure you have plenty of small pods for it to eat, the amphipods, not the larger copepods. this is just a bonus that mine ate the eggs. it took it about a week to figure out they were a food it could eat. Good Luck for those that have mandarins and try the sushi eggs out :)

IconicAquariums

Iconic Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The right ones are called Tobbiko. They are orange/red flying fish roe. There are a few others that are no good. Make sure to get fresh, as the added oil/salt used in the frozen ones will damage the fish's digestive system.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: