D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
what are you goin gto keep in your tank ,SPS ONLY ,LPS ,Softies
what size return are you going to use for what size tank.

VJ&POOPS

Member-MR Best Reef Site
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Thanks all for your reply...

Noodleman - the tank is 75 Gallons

Nanoreefer22 - the overflow will handle up to 600 GPH

House - ???? flow rate = return rate?

Deepwater - haven't decided it is so far a fish only tank but will go for a full reef will start off with most likely LPS. Size of return not sure - overflow has a 1" flow. Sump size (debating here 10 Gallons/20 Gallons)

Last edited:
D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
83   0   0
500 to 600 as far as return ,then you can put some power heads to make a wave actionin your tanks ,too much flow for LPS is not good.

VJ&POOPS

Member-MR Best Reef Site
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
DEEPWATER said:
500 to 600 as far as return ,then you can put some power heads to make a wave actionin your tanks ,too much flow for LPS is not good.
I have a powerhead already in the tank pushing about 250-270 gph, tank length is about 4 feet, thinking about adding another powerhead to push about 100-120 gph, is this wise?.

Thanks
Rudy

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a bunch of LPS in my 36G including blastos acans micros, torches, frogspawn, scolymia, echino w/ 110x time turnover and they are happy

IMO flow is a extremely overlooked subject, I think u need a helluva lot more than what you got going I would put at least 3 MJ 1200 to keep everything moving and detritus from settling on the rocks

a 700 GPH return is what mosty people have and usually what stock overflows can handle.

If I were to do it again Id have dual external overflows on my 36G (700GPH each) opposed to my one, it helps keep surface water agitated and thats good for gas exchange

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: