• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

125reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
sure sometimes sand gets caught in the threads and a small scraqtch happens but man i just used it to clean the tank and i got a scratch from top to bottom of the tank.i didnt realize it because only my blue lights were on but when the white lights came on i noticed this big ugly scratch from the top to the bottom and across almost the whole tank.ahhhhhh.throwing it away and getting something less dangerous.man this sucks

ZANYMASTER

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
410   0   0
Welcome to the club.It happened to me so I ditched it and got the NANO magnet.But for your Tank,you may need something bigger like the Great White Shark or something like that.Others will chime in.

Last edited:

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
In the same boat as you. My 125 gallon is scratched to hell from a Mag Float. Nothing seemed caught in mine, maybe the pad was just old, but for the pad to scratch the glass was enough for me. I threw mine away and bought a Magnavore. So far so good.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
ok any float cleaner will do this to a tank. few years ago after scratching a starfire tank i got to thinking and took one of the fine mesh bags that come in phosban ect and cut a piece to fit my mag float and glued it on so nothing could get under it and poof havent scratched anything since and i have a acrylic tank now and use the same thing

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
same here! i just bought a kent algae scraper from swc yesterday. So far so good. no rust.. gets coraline off very easily also.

This is what I use. Works great, and still going strong after a few years of continuous scraping.

With any magnet, if you have to use one.. keep it out of your tank. I have left the magnet in my tank.. and after a few days, there's all sorts of critters in between the magnet and the glass. Not only are you ruining their day, you're increasing the chances of scratching your tank.

If you find you're having to use a magnet or scraper more often than every few days, you should really look at the nutrient level in your tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: