Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
:icon16:

I am getting my VERY FIRST salt water setup and live stock from another reefer.

However, there is a major problem in transferring the things over.

His setup is a 55G Reef tank with about 60lb live rocks, couple coral and couple fish.

My home has a very twisted entrance where I cannot move a 55G tank in horizontally. I move my dry 55Gs vertically in and put back my FW fish afterwards. I can spare another 55G for the interim. Please advise what's the best way to handle this and how long it will take for a smooth transfer.

I will ask him how long he can let me do the transfer.

Thanks

Last edited:

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Congratulations on your purchase Wingo!! Just remember to prepare enough saltwater at home before take the tank home for the rocks and corals. You can not leave the rocks out too long.

If you want people to help you need to tell them when and where.

REgards,
Herman

joe

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
hermangareis said:
Congratulations on your purchase Wingo!! Just remember to prepare enough saltwater at home before take the tank home for the rocks and corals. You can not leave the rocks out too long.

If you want people to help you need to tell them when and where.

REgards,
Herman

also make sure to make more fresh slatwater than you think youll need,
just always works out that way.

good luck and congratulations!!!

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Please correct my plan.

Thanks for the input.

Correct if I am wrong:

1)Prepare fresh salt water in my spare tank. Question: if I don't have RO/DI water can I just age the water. If so, for how long?

2)Prepare plenty of the buckets and carry the live stock and live rock from the seller.

3)Drain the water of his tank, collect the sand into buckets or triple bagged heavy duty garbage bags. Rememeber I cannot move the tank in horizontally.

4)Break down the hardware and ship them over to my house all at once.

5)Once in my house, put all the live rock and live stock into the spare tank which has fresh saltwater prepared before hand. Question: should I mix any of the old water with my fresh saltwater? What is the proper procedure to introudce the fish into my spare tank?

6)Setup the tank just bought by adding back all the sand and put hardware back to places. Question: should I clean the sand and/or the equipement. If so, will I break all the biological fiilter. The setup includes an Eco System 60 with some kind of green aglae in it.

7)Should I fill it with the water from the spare tank or should use the old water he has if I have a way to collect it?

8)Put the live stock back in the old tank. Question: How long can I let the LR and the LS stay in the bare spare tank? Do I need somekind of filter during the time I setup the old tank?

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
There is just a few point that need to be correct.

1- age water is not much of an improvement. You really need to get a ro/di unit, because if you don't you will have alot of mineral in the water and it will inturn become algae boom for you.

3- I don't you think you could reuse his sand if you going to take it out. You can't stir a sandbed. If you do, it will just contaminant the whole sandbed and will contain too much waste and the live sand is ruin.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
For the first batch you can also get the water from the supermarket at 89cents per gallon. After you can get an RODI unit. You can get them for under 100 bucks. The RODI water will make a huge difference in your planted tanks also.

When will you be moving and where do you live?

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Location and time

hermangareis said:
For the first batch you can also get the water from the supermarket at 89cents per gallon. After you can get an RODI unit. You can get them for under 100 bucks. The RODI water will make a huge difference in your planted tanks also.

When will you be moving and where do you live?

I lived in Bensonhurst Brooklyn and the setup I bought is around 15mins drive locally. As for the move, I don't know when yet-have to plan it a little bit first-expecting in a week or so.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Pure-Flo II RO any good?

I saw this RO unit in Dr. Foster Smith, is it any good.

Does this hooks up in a seperate water storage area-not directly to the tank? Simply put I don't know how it works or connects at all. Is there someone care to introduce the concept to this newbie? :shocked1:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I've been using my Aquasafe for 2 years now. They are very good, very reasonable and very easy to set up.

I would take as much of the original owners water as possible.
I also don't see any reason not to use his sand. It causes a problem when it's stirred up within your tank. If you are moving it from one tank to another, all the built up gases in there will be released, but not into the tank since it will be empty. You will still benefit from pods and bristle worms and other critters living in the sandbed.

When you transport the fish and coral in buckets, you should get a battery powered air pump and a typical airstone to put in the bucket. At this time of year if you could get a small heater in the bucket you'd save stressing the fish/coral too. You can get power inverters that plug into your cigarette lighter and you can plug the heater into that.

Good luck and congratulations on joining the insane. j/k

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I would put RO/DI water as important as the skimmer and lights. You'll be starting off on the wrong foot if you do it any other way. It is also very difficult to backtrack. In other words, unless you do a 100% water change ALL AT ONCE, you can never get rid of the tap water completely. All you will do is constantly dilute it.

The RO/DI unit was my third piece of equipment purchased. Tank #1, lights #2, RO/DI #3, skimmer #4. Not that any of that matters. lol

Russ

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Tentative date for transfer is Sat Feb 4th

Time not set yet.

Anyone in the area of Bensonhurst Brooklyn who can help me or just direct me during the transfer?

I understand the need to get the 5/6 passes RO/DI in the future but provided with so short a time to get stuff-should I just use the DI filter(I have one) to make water or should I go to supermarket to get distillated ones?

Thanks

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
WingoAgency said:
I understand the need to get the 5/6 passes RO/DI in the future but provided with so short a time to get stuff-should I just use the DI filter(I have one) to make water or should I go to supermarket to get distillated ones?

Thanks

I would get the distilled water from the supermarket. At least you won't have to start a battle right from the get go.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: