chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
okay...thanks for tip about photo resizing.

picked up 40g tank and contents from PO 2 Sundays ago. its been running with new water since then. PO claimed it was LR in tank. also says only had moray eel and lionfish in tank before selling them.

what i dont understand is why the rock is so clean if its live. am wondering if its really LR

ps..last 2 photos are of a 12g nano that i picked up (from one of you MR's) that had only LS. i threw a couple pieces of the rock from the bigger tank in to see what happened. the smaller pieces of rock in the forefront of the nano, came with the nano and seem to have more of the usual life that i would expect.

there seems to be a little of the purple coraline spreading in both tanks but dont think that proves rock is live.
View attachment 4325

View attachment 4326

View attachment 4328

View attachment 4329

View attachment 4330

Last edited:

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
It is definitely Live Rock. The term live rock does not mean thatthe rock is actually alive, but rather teaming with life.

You can take "dead rock" with the right properties and seed it with a little bit of live rock and in turn make live rock. Even the aragonite concrete mixes can turn live.

On the other hand if live rock is left out to long it will be dead.

Live rock has basically 3 layers of life. That wahat you see. (algae, featherdusters etc) anarobic bacteria and aerobic bacteria. The two layers of bacteria is basically what performs the filtration - Nitrogen Cycle.

Just because the surface of the rock is clean does not mean that the rock is not Live.

BTW, those are quite nice rocks and aquascaping. If you want more life on it just buy LR rubble. You can also get "garfgrunge" from www.garf.org \

HTH,
Herman

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: