Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Just curious as to the longest amount of time someone has had a tank and suddenly found a new hitch hiker...

I've had my tank since August - I had gone for at least 4 months thinking I had seen all of the hitch hikers that came on my rock (granted it was Tampa Bay Saltwater rock, so it came with a ton)- but within the last two weeks I have now seen a very small mantis, what I believe to be a guerilla crab (or not- I only saw a claw), and yesterday I just noticed a small urchin!!

Of course they all have to be 'bad' hitch hikers - but I haven't had any problems in my tank to date from them that I've noticed (other than missing hermits)- so I haven't gone too far out of my way to trap them :)

Since that is in a 16 gallon tank I wonder how many months/years someone with a larger tank has gone...

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
How do most of you get your rocks? Fully cured, uncured, etc..

Mine were shipped in water- uncured (you have to like the tank to look a littel more natural though- lots of hitch hickers, macro algae, etc...)

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
If you want to find a whole bunch of new things get a flashlight with a red filter and look at your tank after the lights go out when the room is pitch black.

This is the best time to find out if you have nasty critters as well, I found out I had parasitic worms by doing this- saw one nibbling on a clam. Before doing this I was always wonder why my clams would just die eventually. Now I have caught most of them. I plan on starting the hunt again soon.

-Alfred

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
hmmm- thats a good idea. So the moonlights on my tank are probably keeping things from coming out too? They are on for half the night- then go off around 3am...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: