dotc0m

Cheeky Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
So I was doing an intense cleaning, and in the process the vinyle tubing that goes into the sump probably slid off into the back of the stand onto the floor thats' on carpet (Under the stand).

Plugged the ATO in, and didn't notice until I got home later that night hearing my ATO bin running dry (Tom's aqualift). About 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of RO/DI water on the carpet. This was 1 day ago, carpet is still a little wet, and I dint' even think of possibility of mold cuz I was just not paying attention and thinking. Figured I'd treat it like a little bit of water ont he floor that will dry up.

Should I worry? I'm at work and my GF is saying the legs of my stand look a little swelled up. I asked her to throw a fan on the floor.

In regards to mold from RO/DI water, such thing?

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Mold can definitely form from wood being wet for a length of time. Mold is air borne like fungus through spores, not through water so RO/DO or not doesn't matter.
Sounds like the wood is particle board swelling up. It can definitely get weaker when wet. If you have a wet vac, that would be handy in picking up a lot of water, otherwise a lot of paper towels can help and ofcourse the fan will also help evaporate whatever the paper towel missed.
I don't normally see particle board for tanks bigger then 29g though, not sure how big your tank is.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Defintely use the fan and dry to dry it all up, The bad thing about particle board is once it swella up it stays like that even after all the water dries. And ming they make Particle board stand for tanks up 150's.

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you manage a 20G long tank in those stands? Usually where the tank sits is the foot print of the tank and then the interior shrinks like half an inch all from the front to back.

Last edited:

dotc0m

Cheeky Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Questions: What's particle board stand? Not familiar with the term. Just a stand made out of plywood? I bought the stand from petsmart, and it is made out of wood, most likely plywood.

Nvm, it's particle board.

Should I replace the stand? I don't want to if I have to. I'm going to be pulling the carpet this summer anyway for a renovation, and was planning on upgrading then, so I'd liek to wait if I can. Wet/vacing it now as we speak.

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Regarding the water on the carpet you have two things going for you.
first is was RO/DI water not salt water, less potential damage. Second its Winter and the air is dry, turn the heat up in the house put a fan on it and you'll be able to sleep tonight without your nose drying up.

Particle board is basically made from wood chips and sawdust glued together and compressed to form a board. Its an inexpensive substitute for paint grade sanded plywood. Most low end furniture and cabinets are made from it. It does a good job as long as you keep it dry.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: