Rating - 100%
161   0   0
nno windows open tanks in my livingroom sump in the basement .I posted my parameters they seam fine.I opened a few Windows in my basement and it went up a little not much thought I'm gonna try the idea batt had and see what happened then Fri call digital aquatic last time I called they told me to recalibtrate the probe .and use new solution so I did and still the same maybe my units messed up .are the probes the give u when u order the rlk crappy probes. bottom of the barrel

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i have a neptune lab grade probe on mine, wont say it is any better, also how old are the calibration solutions u have ? charlie also if you have a hose you can hook to the skimmer air line and run it out the window you will see your ph go up also

Chris Jury

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's definitely something off here as it is simply impractical to have dissolved CO2 high enough in the tank to have a pH of 7-7.2. My suspicion is that you may have some electrical interference when you measure in the tank, which is fairly common. Try measuring pH in the tank and then scoop out a cup of water and measure pH of that water at least 10 ft away from the tank. If you see a big jump in pH (say from 7 to 8), you're likely seeing electrical interference of the meter when you measure in the tank itself.

cj

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
There's definitely something off here as it is simply impractical to have dissolved CO2 high enough in the tank to have a pH of 7-7.2. My suspicion is that you may have some electrical interference when you measure in the tank, which is fairly common. Try measuring pH in the tank and then scoop out a cup of water and measure pH of that water at least 10 ft away from the tank. If you see a big jump in pH (say from 7 to 8), you're likely seeing electrical interference of the meter when you measure in the tank itself.

this is what was causing mine to be off months back, had a pump with a slight electrical leak, couldnt feel it but put a grounding probe in tank and ph reading went up

Chris Jury

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I have 2 ground probes one in sup the other in my main tank

Electrical interference doesn't necessarily equate to stray voltage, so a grounding probe isn't necessarily going to help. I'd give my suggestion a try and see what you get. If that's not the problem, there may be something off about probe. I've seen probes appear to calibrate correctly and then read radically wrong in sea water. The only solution to that is to get a new probe. Regardless, there is simply no way that you have a pH in the tank of 7-7.2--you'd have 10-15x more dissolved CO2 than what you'd get at equilibrium with the air. Even in a house where CO2 can often be double what it is outdoors, you'd still be at 5-7x equilibrium, and that's not going to happen without some trying ;)

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ok guys I think I found the problem .I took the probe out of the tank filled a clean glass up with tank water put the probe in the glass and it immediately went up to 8.1 .I put the probe back in the tank and bam back down to 7.0 .I pulled the probe out just up to were the wire meets the probe so its basically half way in the water and it started reading.8.1 again .so either I have a bad probe .or I'm not supposed to fully submerse the full probe .my question now is are u supposed to fully submerge the ph probe or only half should be in the water

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: