Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Yep. HUNDREDS of tank threads on here WITH PICTURES. Best way to prove all of us wrong ;)

I can't understand why, if it looks so great, you wouldn't want to share it with everybody. My tank is chicken scratch compared to most but I'm proud of it.

So why not?

Not afraid to show pics, just don't have a good enough camera to do it justice, that all. And unlike you, I would rather hold off on posting crappy pics than to post hundreds of pics that don't do my tank justice.

BTW, I've seen pics of your tank and while it's not my cuppa, I think it's coming along nicely.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Jeeezzz, Thanks for the backhanded compliment. The funny thing is those were taken with a cellphone and not one person asked me to take "Better" pictures. Those prove my tank exists. A "Good Camera" really isn't that important to obtaining a decent picture. Take a look at one of my albums here:

http://strgazr27.zenfolio.com/p242796057

I can tell you every one of those were taken with a sub $400 camera.

Post a picture so all us "Nit Pickers" can go away ;)

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Jeeezzz, Thanks for the backhanded compliment.
Post a picture so all us "Nit Pickers" can go away ;)

Wasn't a backhanded compliment, horses for courses...

I was exhibiting that just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean you have to chase them around a message board and make comments out of the side of your neck.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who either agree or disagree with me and choose not to post. Also, in this hobby there will almost always be casualties. We can't keep everything alive that wasn't meant to be confined in a [relative the ocean] small tank no matter what their size.

Who knows how these specimens were handled/acquired from the ocean before we buy them. You guys act like I poured Clorox in my tank or something.

I tested the water twice daily and did small WCs every other day. So yeah, go ahead and make it seem like I'm a fish killer or something.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Initial set up week 1:

~26lbs LR
10 lbs LS
10 lbs fine sand
70 GPH in-tank filter for temporary water movement
Stock hood light
Some fish and coral pieces

tank1003.jpg

tank1002.jpg

Week 2:
Added a Seio 320
T5 light fixture
Some more coral pieces

Week 3:
Added a Remora skimmer
A Copperband butterfly
More coral pieces

Week 4:
Moved some pieces around
Added some more coral pieces
Getting a diatom bloom and some algae

Today:
Notice how there is some sunlight coming directly into the tank.
Changes in less than a month:

The blast merletti has like 4 baby heads growing.
The orange acro has colored up and is now a deep purple with green tips
The blueberry gorg har it's polys fully open most of the time
The orange/white sponge has it's polyps fully open most of the time
The orange ric has moved off of the plug onto the rock
The Hammers both have 3 baby heads growing on their stalks
The other acros have polyps fully extended
The duncans have doubled in size
The monti has encrusted onto the rock
Also added a HK 425 for more flow

The other thread that was locked due to the inane comments of some of the 'esteemed' members here had the water params. Search if you are so inclined. Everything pretty much looks brown in these pics but I promise the tank is super vibrant looking which is why I was hesitant to post pics, my camera isn't as good as the human eye. Also, some of the pics show microbubbles from the skimmer.

Thanks

Last edited:

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
You made the comment I posted crappy pictures of my tank so to me that's backhanded. And please don't be so full o yourself to think I follow you around. WAY better things to do in my life lol.

You state you knew the tank was too small for a CB but you bought it anyway. That's ignorance and stupidity. Sorry, call them as I see them. Keep us posted on what else you shouldn't have bought or put in the tank but dies... I'm done.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
You made the comment I posted crappy pictures of my tank so to me that's backhanded. And please don't be so full o yourself to think I follow you around. WAY better things to do in my life lol.

You state you knew the tank was too small for a CB but you bought it anyway. That's ignorance and stupidity. Sorry, call them as I see them. Keep us posted on what else you shouldn't have bought or put in the tank but dies... I'm done.

You asked for pics of my tank and I posted them and this is what you come back with? True colors, bro. True colors.

Did you seriously put a Yellow Tang in a cube? Are you serious? I've seen them do well in tanks as small as a 4' 55g but a cube are you for real?

And you just shut up idiot. My tank isn't a cube.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Mods, really?

The thought of this atrocity being perpetuated is beyond reproach in our hobby.

Discussions have run rampant on this board as well as other boards regarding the desire to want to have an authority to call to shut down inhumane retail facilities that poorly treat fish/coral/inverts. The common consensus is that the 'Humane' Society would laugh us out of their offices if we were to approach them with the facts that a storefront is operating with dead fish in their tanks, smelly (from ammonia poisoning) water, overcrowded tanks, unsuitable conditions, etc., yet we're allowing a thread like this to continue? What happens when a noobie looks for a way to do things quick and see's this thread? We all know these searches are only done to find one persons views to validate their skewed thinking that it can be done overnight. Do we want to permit this type of hypocrisy of our true beliefs?

I wanted to stay silent on this matter, I really did. But then the name calling started. I know that isn't allowed, even if you don't agree with my rant.

And you just shut up idiot.

:sad2:

Russ

Last edited:

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
+1 on master swimmer, that idiot comment was uncalled for, he was just stating that your tank is too small for the yellow tang, which it is. The minimum i would put a tang is a 90 gallon, they are open water schooling fish and need more room to move around. o and i would put those sps up a little higher than they are imo.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The other way to look at this is an individual who clearly made some terrible decisions has taken the next step and decided to make an example of himself. It doesn't take a genius to see that this is obviously not the way to do this.

Sometimes when you give people enough rope, they end up hanging themselves.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
You asked for pics of my tank and I posted them and this is what you come back with? True colors, bro. True colors.

My reply was not in regards to you posting pics it was in regards to your statements here:
Wasn't a backhanded compliment, horses for courses...
I was exhibiting that just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean you have to chase them around a message board and make comments out of the side of your neck.

AGAIN, Nobody is chasing you around the message board. As far as making comments out of the side of my neck... It's still better than making them out of your a** but it seems you haven't gotten that yet ;)
I'm sure there are plenty of people who either agree or disagree with me and choose not to post. Also, in this hobby there will almost always be casualties. We can't keep everything alive that wasn't meant to be confined in a [relative the ocean] small tank no matter what their size.

Your right we can't keep everything alive but you seem to go out of your way to allow that to happen. And on more than one occasion. Individuals with your mentality are the reason this hobby is frowned upon by many individuals and groups.
Who knows how these specimens were handled/acquired from the ocean before we buy them. You guys act like I poured Clorox in my tank or something.
If purchased from respected dealers we do have a pretty good idea and really it's not the before handling that is at issue here it's whats done after they reach yours.
I tested the water twice daily and did small WCs every other day. So yeah, go ahead and make it seem like I'm a fish killer or something.
We don't have to do that...Your doing a bang up job of it on your own...

And you just shut up idiot. My tank isn't a cube.
Flexing those internet keyboard muscles again I see .....

internet_tough_guy_-_because_its_easy_to_be_a_6_foot_4_olympic_powerlifter_and_streetfighting_god_from_behind_the_confines_of_a_keyboard.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: