DrGonzo

Jack of All Trades
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm at my whits end with my Watts RODI 5-Stage. I replaced all filters two months ago. Then last week the water production slowed down and within a couple of days it was down to a trickle. I decided to replace the membrane, but still nothing. The air pressure on the tank is correct at 5 psi. It just seems like the tank isn't filling. The unit used to make a little bit of water noise when the tank water was depleted, but I no longer hear that. Any suggestions out there? I'm tempted with just replacing the whole thing at this point.

reeferguy

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take out all the filters and just let the water run straight to the ro membrane. usually the carbon gets clogged enough to make the psi to low and therefor it will not be enough to go through the membrane

Vic8361

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
I agree with reeferguy could be the carbon block. ming has a good point as well.
NY water is great but it does have a lot of rust coming from the old pipes. My carbon block used to clog up very fast until I went with a higher micron carbon block.
Now I run two sediment filters before the carbon block and now it last me six months or more.
Vic

DrGonzo

Jack of All Trades
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
It's official. I'm an idiot. I must of put in the filters backwards last time, because when I took them out two of them looked brand new while the third one (carbon block filter) was filthy. I replaced that one and switched them to the correct order and presto, its working again. So, I replaced the membrane unnecessarily. Chalk another one up to stupidity.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Hey Doc, how's it goin'? I'm having the same problem and just ordered a 100gpd membrane but think now I will have to check if I put those filters in right :tongue1:

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
wouldn't you know it, I went under there and had my filters in backwards! Carbon first then sediment. What's the chances the carbon one is already clogged after maybe a week (20 gal) of use?

I could get down to 002ppm TDS but it fluctuated so I thought it was time for a new membrane, but since I found I had them in wrong I'm making water using only the membrane and am getting 000ppm TDS.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
RO membranes are rated at 96% or 98% efficient, so if your not getting 0tds coming out, it doesnt mean the membrane is bad. say your tap water is 100tds before the membrane, then it's acceptable to have up to a 4 or 2 tds out of the RO.... If it was 200tds at tap, then 4 or 8 is acceptable after RO.
BUT, that is what the DI is for...To pull out the rest of the tds. So after the DI, you should have a 0 tds reading.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: