JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The thing to remember is when they rate floors its for them to support a certain weight evenly dispursed throughout the floor. You wont have all those people in a space as small as a tanks footprint. Thats where we encounter problems with pinpointed weight.

Like tentacles said ask your landlord and if they don't know pay an engineer to give you reccomendations on how big and where it should be put. Just because a wall is sheetrocked doesnt mean its load bearing.

Just my honest opinion and recommendation. Good luck with it

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hey Eddie, glad to see that you're joining the cube club. Let me know if you need any help, I would be happy to lend a hand. I don't know much about load bearing walls or support from below, however everything JimmyR1rider said above ^^^ seems like a good direction to head in.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
In most situations a 180 shouldn't even be an issue, they stopped making houses out of elmers and popsicle sticks after WW2 so you should be ok as long as it was built after that... 200+ is usually where I have the floor checked out not because I don't think it can't take it but because sometimes there could be unseen damage or issues that could compromise the structure when you park a ton or more of water on it. It's a precaution that's usually unnecessary but makes sure everyone is covered should something happen. If your floor can't hold a 90gal cube with sump safely, than you have way bigger problems to deal with.
+100

Bro a 70 cube? Not only are they very expensive but it isn't much of an upgrade. Don't waste your money go bigger or don't bother. That's like upgrading from an 8 gallon nano to a 12 gallon..whoopdeedooo

Go 120 if you got 4 feet of space. What's the dimensions you are working with?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on the second floor of a town house and have a 180 gallon end to end with a 120 gallon. Though I asked a contractor before moving in nothing had to be done to my house or the building in preparation. This June it will be 7 years the tanks will be up and the house, floor, walls etc. look as good as the day I moved in

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: