strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Proof that faster isn't always better :(

I'm NOt posting this to start a poop storm but to help prove a point so that new guys like myself who come looking for advice can see what usually happens when you RUSH things...

I'm not trying to send traffic RC's way but Heli is a nice guy. Kinda torn as he did a WONDERFUL job with the build but seems to have gotten a wee bit too far ahead of himself.

Truly a valuable lesson learned here kiddies...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1975251&page=28

You can start at post 699 but the whole thread is a tour de force of tank builds with almost no money spared...

Last edited:

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Working in an LFS, I cant tell you how often I saw this. Almost every day. "My water is cloudy so I changed the water and cleaned the filters."

So often, the answer in this hobby is the same thing. Leave it alone!!!!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Bobby, I just read that thread from post # 699 like you suggested. As I read each post my blood pressure kept increasing. :mad: It felt like deja vu all over again ;)

What gets me is that there were so many comments about how great that build was :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Russ

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
are you sure? :rolleyes:

:scratchch ....BTW did you Proff read you 'thread title'? :wink1:

Um YEAH... I'm sure :rolleyes: Instead of stirring the pot why not just add to it ;)

As far as proof reading...Looks like I need to spend some money on a new keyboard instead of the tank..

I posted this to show that just because you spend WELL north of $10K on a build and plan out almost every little detail you just can't rush the cycle process. It also proves out that what looks to be a very stable system can come crashing down if it is not given time to stabilize naturally.

It was my hope in posting this that it would help those just starting a tank and looking to stock the heck out of it 2 weeks after it is setup to see what can happen.

I also hoped a discussion could be built upon with tips or tricks to the proper way to cycle to prevent such an incident and waste of money and stock.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Bobby, I just read that thread from post # 699 like you suggested. As I read each post my blood pressure kept increasing. :mad: It felt like deja vu all over again ;)

What gets me is that there were so many comments about how great that build was :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Russ

Russ if you go back and look at his methods they were all pretty sound. His choice of materials and equipment was top notch so I can understand the incredible build comments. I can also understand the anger at the loss of fish due to a lack of patience. Hopefully someone just starting a new tank will read that and this thread and not make the same mistakes.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I am by no means an expert but I have always said nothing good happens fast in a saltwater tank!

I up graded my 180 to a 450 3 years ago, I filled the tank matched salinity, alk, mag, and calcium equalized the temperature and swapped everything over.
just a slight shake of the rocks in the old tank( don't ever rinse the rock with fresh water!)

left the lights off for a day and Knock wood didnt have a problem

I didnt read the whole thread on RC but why the F*** would you purposely dose ammonia in the tank?? he didnt need to cycle the tank he already had a biological base in the existing tank!

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's his methods that caused it. It's too much to read through to see what he did but I'd always try to re-use 50% of the water from the old tank but the then the last I upgrade I did was from a 12 gallon fish only to a 29 with corals on live rock I got from another member and suffered no losses and is now thriving. Of course, it's not comparable to his upgrade.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
You don't have to. Start at page 28 post 699.

Bottom line.... A beautiful, what he thought cycled tank for more than a month, that failed epically because he tried to rush the cycle process and also overstocked the tank for how long it had been setup. Actually worth the time to read...

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
It seems you can talk but can't read so I'll fill you in....

He used ammonia to cycle a tank. Tank completed what he thought was a normal cycle after 3-4 weeks ;). Amm 0 Nitrites 0 Trates at 0. He waits another week and adds fish and livestock from his established 90 gallon. a week or 2 later fish start to die. He notices a spike in AMM and Nitrites. Treats tank with ammo lock etc. Tank stabilizes for a few days. A few more fish die... (Sound familiar) yet his ammonia reads zero. Seems ammo-lock may have fooled tests or tank is going through a second cycle (Common when trying to speed up a natural process). Some people question him trying to "Speed up" the procedure (Sound familiar)....

And that's where they are.....

JavyJaverson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0

Russ

it is a great build, regardless of how many fish he killed. The skills and craftsmanship of that build is remarkable. Consider reading it from the beginning.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I just took a look and I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but he picked up 200 lbs of live rock from another reefer who was breaking down. Then he proceeded to "COOK" the rock. Now many people still don't understand the process of cooking rock. In short the rock is placed in a dark container with salt water and a small circulation pump, skimmer is optional. The purpose is to get all of the crap that has accumulated in the rock out. This helps with any detritus, phosphates, algae etc... Then you are left with clean rock to place in your display. The process may take 4 to 8 weeks or more depending on the condition of the rock. Other steps are also involved, so please don't chime in and start the "you left something out" debate, it is a quick reference. In page 10, he takes this rock and "cooks" it on the grill. All he has done is kill the life on the rock leaving all the other nasties that have permeated the rock still in the rock, not to mention all the dead matter after grilling the rock.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: