howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
No prob! I know more than a few people that run cryptic 'fuges and have nothing but great experiences. Do you light your 'fuge or is it dark?
I also have a little all in one 30g that I pulled all the filter media out of and packed the back filter section full of rock and chaeto. Not much light except for the spill over from my pendant. Thing is growing chaeto and copepods like that's its job......oh wait

Pallobi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol :)

i have a light for it, but its only (1) 30" actinic t5 that i use for random viewing purposes only... the fuge tank itself is a 65g RR... 36x18x25 high... with alot of flow like my entire system... for example, i even have a koralia magnum 7 in my 40g breeder sump, and 2 mp40s in my 75g display and will be adding a mp10 on the back wall soon... i want NOTHING to settle on the bottom of any part of my system, ever ;)

pallobi the sps keeper = barebottom, no sand at all, very high flow, ultra low nutrients, and very powerful skimming ability along with lots of activated carbon used :) of course not all do, or have to do things like this... jus my methods... hopefully these explain why i dont have a "conventional" fuge...

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Relax. You can call it what you want to. I'm not calling everything you do into question.
But by your definition anyone can put live rock in a sump and call it a fuge. Or we could call our overflow boxes fuges. I am wondering what pods eat in an unlit section of live rock.

Pallobi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering what pods eat in an unlit live rock filter.

i was often curious of this myself... as i feed nothing in there... i actually only feed my sps oysterfeast once every two weeks or once a month if that... but for whatever reason, their populations are plenty... so i really dont know what they are eating... but they are reproducing plenty... i have a purple tang that is fed like its goin out of style and i think he feeds the corals and pods more than they need themselves, in the display, sump, and fuge... but who knows really, its hard to tell what very small organisms like pods are consuming when they are multiplying like they do... i know they love phyto, but i dont use that at all and i swear against it as it makes my skimmer go silly, and it turns into a pain more than anything...

Last edited:
Anyways...I have caulerpa serrulata, caulerpa prolifera, grape caulerpa, chaeto, a couple of mangroves growing in mud and some rock rubble, oh and a reef lobster because he got booted out of my DT, we ended up having some trust issues lol. I want to put a couple of cardinals to live among the magrove trees since it would be a natural environment for them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: