Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
Okay trying to figure out how many gallons I have in my system or at least get a close enough idea so when I dose I have a rough idea
So if anyone can chime in ...
I have a 90 reef with about 200lbs of live rock and 100lbs of live sand next a 30gallon sump usually half full,a 40 breeder as a fuge with a couple of inches of sand,a 15gallan for my skimmer and a 24gallon bare bottom frag tank plumbed into the 90..
So my question how much actual water do I have?
Thanks

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
that's my guess...if you want to carefully measure each tank, I'd be happy to 'calculate' it for you...the LR and sand are the main variables!
Can you calculate mine too,,, My guess is about 150 with water in the plumbing as well.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
What do I need to measure exactly?

you need to get the INSIDE measurements of each tank (side to side, front to back, and water level from inside bottom to waterline). Not as important in smaller tanks, but what type of overflows do you have?
If all tanks are in the same area and you don't have a lot of plumbing, then it's not that important, but, if you have a basement sump or a lot of plumbing, you could shut off the sump return pump and then measure the water height in each tank.

Can you calculate mine too,,, My guess is about 150 with water in the plumbing as well.
DRE, anything for you, Buddy!

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Alfie what kind of formula are you using to determine actual volume.
basically, using regular tank volume formula, but with INSIDE measurements....L x W x H div. by 231. Tank builders use OUTSIDE measurements, which is higher than actual volume...
as mentioned I used, what I consider an average for LR displacement...about 3 gal. per 50 Lbs...if you wanted to be 'exact' you'd have to remove all LR and sand, and re-measure water height.

From the pics, that I've seen of your 450g tank, Rich, based on the amount of corals and fish, you have, I would estimate that your actual water volume is just under 50g!!!!!:shocked1: give them some room!!!! :joke:

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Alfie is way too technical :lol:

For lazy guys like me, I just take the inside dimensions and height of the water, use the volume calculator and minus 20% for rock displacement.
So my 125g 48"x24"x25" is calculated at 47"x23"x24" which equals 112.3g minus 20% = 89.84g or 90g actual water volume.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: