aznmajik

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I have a problem. I believe something in my tank is eating my LPS, and I can't figure out what it is. It's none of my fishes, and it's a picky target eater. I've lose two fungias and an acan to this monster already. Once, it has eated all of the mouths of one brain (3 mouths in 1 night), so I had to iso the brain but it has pulled through. The fungias and acan weren't so luck.

Now, I'm having an attack again! and I can't figure it out. here are 3 pictures of this gold lobo I have right after the lights turned on. Do you guys know what could be doing this, or would you attribute it to non-idea tank parameters?

Here's three pictures. One is the full gold lobo, 2nd is where the receeding has occured, third is the other side of the lobo, to show that it is targetted.

Attachments

• IMG_0749.JPG
    IMG_0749.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 171

aznmajik

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Tons of hermits primarily scarlet and blues, but I haven't seen them do anything. I've waken up every hour of the night to check it out but haven't caught the culprit.

I also have a serpent star, tons of pods, turbo, nassarius, margarita snails, and a few unknowns

Also i have lots of worms, could they be it? Primarily bristle worms but I'm not sure if I have fire worms or not. I question because ive seen a few fatties over 9inches long probably.

I have one crab but it's an acropora crab I believe. It stays in my acro colony and has never left it without my knowledge

aznmajik

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Here's an update.

It was much worse today, and I proceeded to do a dip. To my surprise, I may have found the culprit, but I'm not sure if it's just anecdotal evidence. Here's the picture in my tank with further recession, and one during the dip. You'll see the little b*****d in the mouth of the picture.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0760.JPG
    IMG_0760.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited by a moderator:

aznmajik

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Lps disease!

After a few more hours, it looks much much worse. Any reccomendations? I would hate to loose this gold lobo. Much appreciated!

Could it be some sort of disease? This is happening very fast!

Attachments

• IMG_0763.JPG
    IMG_0763.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0764.JPG
    IMG_0764.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 88

dpoll

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost a beautful pagoda coral simply because (and we saw this happen) our wrasse took a nip @ it. It deteriorated so quickly after that, and nothing we did could save it.
Also heard Asterina sea stars can be destructive little suckers...

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
i feel your pain aznmajik. i have lost pretty much all my lps and some sps to what looks to be the same thing and i still can not figure it out. iv dipped and dipped with no luck. my tank is now pretty much devoid of all lps. i hope you figure it out before it goes much further. good luck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: