• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Where can I find a set of these instructions. Don't believe I have ever come across a set on instructions telling one to set their device IP to the b'cast address. Very intrigued...

I offered to take a look at it for Richard as he's 15 minutes from me... but no response. Oh well... best of luck.

Oh I'm sorry about that I forgot to respond back :redface: I'm still fiddling it around I keep getting the 255.255.255.255 as the IP address.

I hard reset my router and now its giving me the 10.0.0.xx ip address again.

GODDAMNIT.jpg

I have only TWO things plugged into my router: my laptop (which I'm on now, and the APEX.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Oh I'm sorry about that I forgot to respond back :redface: I'm still fiddling it around I keep getting the 255.255.255.255 as the IP address.

I hard reset my router and now its giving me the 10.0.0.xx ip address again.

GODDAMNIT.jpg

I have only TWO things plugged into my router: my laptop (which I'm on now, and the APEX.

I'll be home all day if you want to stop by.

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
http://reeftech.webs.com/Apex New User Guide.pdf

Here is the guide I followed.

And this is the section I read. I read that I needed to port forward.

Your router is tasked with taking traffic to/from the internet and "routing" it to the appropriate device or application on your network. By default, the Apex uses port 80 so you would configure your router to forward port 80 messages to the Apex?s IP address. If port 80 is not being blocked by your ISP, then you simply use this default. However, if you have to change your port, you're going to have to configure your router to push particular traffic to the IP address and port of your Apex controller, whatever you had set that to. This process is called "port forwarding" whether you?re using the default port 80 or a custom port number. Basically you're telling the router "take traffic that comes in looking for port 1234 and send it to IP address 192.168.0.105, port 1234 (or whatever the address of your Apex is). A good tutorial and screen shots of popular routers can be found at www.portforward.com.

and from the portforward.com I followed it along

And then after that, back to reading the guide which goes and says
If you're still game, here's how to put it all together:
1. Turn off DHCP on the Apex
2. Enter a static IP address in the Apex that's not being used on your network
3. Assign a port to the Apex and let it reboot.

RIGHT HERE WAS WHERE I GOT STUCK. I tried to update and was told it would take a few minutes. I had turned off DHCP, put in some ip address similar to the 10.0.0.x and assigned a port. but after that, it wouldn't update

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'll be home all day if you want to stop by.

I actually have to head out in about half an hour and won't be back until late night.

But thank you. Several people have been generous enough to offer personal help but at the moment I want to try to work this out through the internet. If not, last resort will be going around to people's places

thanks again! :grouphug:

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
You can try to work it out via network, but honestly not sure how that would be accomplished as the unit is taking up the broadcast IP. Maybe, and that's a big maybe, by using a hub...not a switch, but a good old unintelligent hub from the 1990s.

Easiest and quickest way is to bring your Apex Jr. to someone with a Apex Lite or full Apex that has a Aqua Display, and use the display to perform a factory reset.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I agree the only way is to do reset. Finding someone with the head unit.

I tried everything I could over network connection. My opinion is hard reset. I think it is a very bad design tho to make a device that you can't do a hard reset without a head unit (when the head unit is not required to use the device)

Sent from my Piece of crap Sprint Epic

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I agree the only way is to do reset. Finding someone with the head unit.

I tried everything I could over network connection. My opinion is hard reset. I think it is a very bad design tho to make a device that you can't do a hard reset without a head unit (when the head unit is not required to use the device)

Sent from my Piece of crap Sprint Epic

Hehe... margins must be good for Neptune. As crappy as DA's support may be, for $119 RKL at least it comes with 2 line display unit. If Neptune wanted headless reef controller, Apex Jr. is a good fit but they failed to include the contingencies of a headless appliance; even a $20 router has a reset button on the back of it. ;)

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Apex Lite and Apex System has the headunits, just the Jr. is optional. They're all still good controllers.

I suppose the lack of a reset button is an after-thought. Perhaps in a later revision, it'll have such a mechanism.

blueink

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I KNOW.....

Scanned all the address on the 192 and 10 because his local machine IP was a 10.

we then reset his router so that it went back to factory of 192.168.1.XXX hoping that we then could find the apex.

He was following a set of instructions to set static IP's.
I have a feeling that a mistake was made and set the unit to 255.255.255.255

You and I are speaking the same language, but most other people read this as chinese.

I think that it was a mistake and IP was mis configured....

i take offense to this since i understand both. ?????? lol!

hard reset will fix it.

Last edited:

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Instead of asking to borrow a headunit. You might get further if you offered to bring your Apex Jr. unit to the person's location and quickly reset it there. No one will lend you their primary, and highly probable - their only headunit.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: