• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MPISCIOTTI

Rating - 95%
19   1   0
Can't dial this skimmer in. Been trying for hours . Please can anyone help me out. For a few mins it skims with tiny bubbles . Then it over flows.i been trying for hours to correct this prob.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
+1 what marrone says. Because you're probably tinkering it too much, the natural oils on your skin gets in the water which makes the bubbles lower then normal so you naturally put the skimmer level higher. When the oils finally dissipate, the skimmer overflows. Start off low, leave it for at least a day before adjusting it slightly higher per day.

MPISCIOTTI

Rating - 95%
19   1   0
It's a bm160 recirculating skimmer. Been adjusting it for the past 24 hours and it's not working. . Put a ball valve on the feed pump . Still over flows .

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Did you clean it before you put it in the tank? If you did it's like a new skimmer. My I-Tech took 3 days before it stopped overflowing. Leave it set on the lowest setting and walk away. Can sometimes take a good week before they settle in...

Also, you are running it at the correct depth right?

Gwiz3005

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
If it has one, take the plug out of the skimmer cup...turn it on and let it drain back into the sump until it stops overflowing/filling so fast. This took me a couple days, then I put the plug back in and it has skimmed like a beast since.

MPISCIOTTI

Rating - 95%
19   1   0
Yes I cleaned it out with white vinegar . Soaked for over night . . I lowered the flow from the feed put a lil. It's not going as crazy . Very wet form .

WilFresco

Master Debator
Rating - 97.8%
88   2   0
If it's a bubble magus, then make a small platform so it's not sitting on the bottom of ur sump, the water comes out through the bottom so if there's no clearance for the water coming out then it creates back pressure and causes it to overflow, I had the same exact problem and took me hours to figure it out, so basically just raise it a few inches so the the water has enough room to run out, and remember the higher the number u set it too the lower the flow, this is if it's the bubble magus

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Have you used any epoxy or water conditioners recently? That can make the skimmer overflow like crazy.
If so, run some extra carbon and complete a water change without the conditioner.

The above is assuming you have the skimmer set at the correct depth and have let it run wide open for a few days to let the slime coat build up.

MPISCIOTTI

Rating - 95%
19   1   0
a689891b-822a-7017.jpg

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
By water conditioners I was talking about products like Prime and other similar products.
I don't know enough about bio pellets to tell you if they'll make your skimmer overflow, but I don't remember reading that in any of the pellet threads.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: