• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Veronica

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning:

I started a salt water tank and wanted the temperature to maintain between 75 and 76 degrees F. I was achieving this temperature the first three days. Yesterday, I noticed the temperature up to almost 81 degrees. Its a 20 gallon tall, had a 100 watt heater, light and shut off the heater, removed it for now and replaced with 50 watt heater. Had the lights off overnight and woke up this morning to a temperature of 78.1. From 10:00 79.1 degrees F last night to 8:00 this morning 78.1 degrees F, no light on and only 50 watt heater running The temperature is still not coming down.

Any help here please as the density of the water is correct, my measurements of Ammonia and Nitrate are only slightly up, Nitrite at 0 and PH at 8.2.

I have noticed some algae growth on the live sand already. Could this be the reason for temperature increase?

It has been a while since I had my last salt water tank.

Thank you.

Mike389

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Do you have an a/c? It has been hot the past few days... Buy a fan for your tank to cool it off from the heat being put out by your equipment and room temp. Equipment being your return pump, heater, and lights

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Algae on the sand bed would not cause a temperature change.

Ambient room temperature and the humidity level would affect the temperature.

IMO expecting a tank to maintain a specific temperature within one degree is unrealistic, even for those using a chiller run by a controller would likely experience a swing of 2-3 degree due to factors such as lighting and those mentioned above.

What is the ammonia level and are there any fish in this tank yet?

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
75 is low. Good luck with that in the summer unless you have a AC running below 75 constantly (coned loves you) or your chiller is working over time.

In the summer I keep my tank 79 - 83.

Ive been doing this for 5 years and have never had an issue. I have a 40g cube and all I have is a fan in the sump that turns on at 81.5

Last edited:

Veronica

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Everyone: I have my AC running in that room 24/7. Room temperature is 71.4 degrees F. I just unplugged the 50 watt heater, took the cover off the top of the tank and put the ceiling fan on full blast to circulate the air in the room. The light is sodium and I will put on a timer. Ammonia level is .25 Nitrate level 10 ppm. 2 Yellow tail baby Damsels.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
Thank you Everyone: I have my AC running in that room 24/7. Room temperature is 71.4 degrees F. I just unplugged the 50 watt heater, took the cover off the top of the tank and put the ceiling fan on full blast to circulate the air in the room. The light is sodium and I will put on a timer. Ammonia level is .25 Nitrate level 10 ppm. 2 Yellow tail baby Damsels.

It could be from the cover. If you have a cover your trapping in the heat from the light and reducing the evaporation and gas exchange.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0

The light is sodium
Sodium?

I would not necessarily turn off the heater (as long as you have it set low enough). The temps are much lower today and with the fan circulating you tank temp may drop even further.

Tanks should not be covered by glass or plexi as that inhibits oxygen exchange and also can be responsible for raising the temp. (like one would see in a terrarium setting)

Did you cycle this tank prior to adding the damsels?

Any chance of posting a pic of the tank?

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Set the heater where you desire and leave it pluged in, you never know when there will be a significant drop in temperature. And yes high temperature can cause algae bloom. As mentioned earlier 81 degrees is favorable for most reef creatures. Although yesterday was one of the cool days in the 70s, you may need to set your Ac unit to cool your tank asap. Thats alot of energy though just for two Damsels that are quite happy in the mid 80s.

Veronica

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Temp came down to 76.9 to 77.4 by taking the lid off, running the ceiling fan and shutting off the heater. I will put the heater back on in 2 hours.

Room temperature at 71.4 because I like it Cool! :) That particular room gets very very hot due to the sun beating down on it all morning and 3 hours in the afternoon.

I do not have Con Ed yet I do have Orange and Rockland and I am sure they equal out in their high rates, LOL.

Will post a picture once I have a moment to take the pics with my camera and tripod.

Thank you everyone.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Thank you. Temp came down to 76.9 to 77.4 by taking the lid off, running the ceiling fan and shutting off the heater. I will put the heater back on in 2 hours.

Im not sure you totally missed the point that reefers run their tanks from 78-82 range?

Also, you need a controller for the heater. Use the dial on top is like asking to have a crash. RKL is only $100 and you can hook a fan to it and your lights.

Mike389

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Im not sure you totally missed the point that reefers run their tanks from 78-82 range?

Also, you need a controller for the heater. Use the dial on top is like asking to have a crash. RKL is only $100 and you can hook a fan to it and your lights.
Good point.. can you program it to turn your fan on when your tank reaches a certain degree... say 81 then fan comes on?

Veronica

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75-76 degree range allows more oxygen into the water, slows the metabolism just a bit, slower algae growth. I am also take this tank very slowly as it has been some years. Not ready to do live coral just yet and when I do move forward, I will slowly bring water temp back up. In the past I did run the tanks at 76 degrees with great success. That one in particular was 55 gallon. The past 35 gallon hex ran at 79 to 80 degrees F. I know the Damsels will be just fine with a higher temp range.

PS: They already dug out some sand and borrowed in under the coral pieces.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: