xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Okay I know MR probably doesn't have this kind of questions asked on here. But I wanted to give it a try to see if they are any here.

I'm thinking of set a baby chameleon set up on a 29G. My questions are the following.

What kind of lights would I need how many watts too?

Which are beginner chameleon for noobies?

Which are better set ups a cage ones or tank ones?

Are chameleons aggressive towards humans?

How long can a chameleon be handled for?

What are the requirements for this set up?

Are chameleons easy to take care of specialty for a noobie that doesn't know anything about reptile care?

PS: I will asking for questions as soon as I have some replies.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Have you had any experiences with reptiles at all. Chameleons are not for novice reptile keepers. They are one of the harder reptile to care for. I know they are beautiful and seem like they would be fun to try but if your not familiar with them or never had reptile experiences I would try something a bit easier. Why not try a leopard gecko they are very beautiful lizards with a lot less main thence requirements. We keep all sorts of reptiles for years and still won't do the chameleon.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Have you had any experiences with reptiles at all. Chameleons are not for novice reptile keepers. They are one of the harder reptile to care for. I know they are beautiful and seem like they would be fun to try but if your not familiar with them or never had reptile experiences I would try something a bit easier. Why not try a leopard gecko they are very beautiful lizards with a lot less main thence requirements. We keep all sorts of reptiles for years and still won't do the chameleon.

Wow I didn't know chameleons were hard to keep thanks for the heads up James. But as for leopard geckos what are the requirements? Same questions go for the chameleon set up James.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
+1. These are not for the novice reptile owner. I agree with trying a gecko first.
Either way toy will need a reptile fixture and bulb. A heat mat, water bowl, substrate, screen top, and other little do dads (yea,, that's right,, I said do dads)

Reptiles are great. Just don't start with something difficult to keep alive.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
+1. These are not for the novice reptile owner. I agree with trying a gecko first.
Either way toy will need a reptile fixture and bulb. A heat mat, water bowl, substrate, screen top, and other little do dads (yea,, that's right,, I said do dads)

Reptiles are great. Just don't start with something difficult to keep alive.

Thanks...do they require more things then a chameleons?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
We have all 8 leopard geckos and we have them in 2 Kmart tub draws. They are beautiful and as close as you can get to a interactive reptile other then the bearded dragon. We use green carpet ,water bowl and not much more. They can tolerate cooler temps as well.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
They get around 8 to 10 inches in length. Go to they reptile expos and you can get some cool color morph leopard geckos. I wouldn't do anything smaller then a 20 gallon. Plus they can be bred pretty easily if you read up on them

Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
Aquariums are not the best for reptiles plastic or aqrylic type enclosures work better
Do a search on line you can find some nice enclosures just for your type of reptile..
I might have a few used ones got to look..
As far as chameleons they are difficult to keep do your research on them first ..
Their life span in captivity is not that great 1-3 years
I have have 4 at the moment including a 5year old panther that my vet says is old for a captive chameleon not to mention my 50plus snakes but that's another story. Lol
Any questions feel free to ask

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Aquariums are not the best for reptiles plastic or aqrylic type enclosures work better
Do a search on line you can find some nice enclosures just for your type of reptile..
I might have a few used ones got to look..
As far as chameleons they are difficult to keep do your research on them first ..
Their life span in captivity is not that great 1-3 years
I have have 4 at the moment including a 5year old panther that my vet says is old for a captive chameleon not to mention my 50plus snakes but that's another story. Lol
Any questions feel free to ask

What kind of set ups you think are good for them as brand wise?

bigcapct

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0

+1. I used to breed leopard geckos and bearded dragons along with ball pythons also. Have had chameleons in the past and def not for beginners.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
I always suggest bearded dragons. I had leopard geckos before and not all of them like being handled. Some get used to it and some don't. I always had more success with tamed bearded dragons. I currently have three bearded dragons and a uromastyx( harder to keep). Children always like to hold my lizards and my bearded dragons don't mind just as long as they are gentle

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I always suggest bearded dragons. I had leopard geckos before and not all of them like being handled. Some get used to it and some don't. I always had more success with tamed bearded dragons. I currently have three bearded dragons and a uromastyx( harder to keep). Children always like to hold my lizards and my bearded dragons don't mind just as long as they are gentle

That's odd all my leopard geckos love to be handled. I've had beards before and definitely a great reptile but have a lot more requirements then leopard geckos

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: