d5332

Advanced Reefer
I am not getting into it with you.

In the last month I've visited 7 fish stores in NJ.

$329 for the Emperator was in NJ, I saw it with my own eyes, NOT ORANGE TAIL.

$50 for the purple fire fish I saw that as well.

$80 for the copperband and it was small/med.

$70+ for the yellow belly was tiny.

THEY ARE ALL SPONSORS ON THIS FORUM but again I will not get into it with you nor do I blame stores for setting the prices they do, not my business.

But I do ask, if you can get live stock cheaper than Maximum Reefs Aquatics in NJ, please please please tell us all where so that I can avoid paying the $12.00, please tell me where this mystery NJ store is because I have not seen it and I have been everywhere except South NJ.

THANK YOU MAXIMUM REEF AQUATIC FOR MAKING THIS HOBBY AFFORDABLE.

Please do not unless it is to disclose this cheap NJ store that you speak of.

I have never seen a Copperbands for more than 50 and that is a larger one, as for the emperor angel, 329 better get you an orange tail adult at least 8"s. but for me to go and travel over an hour to a store is quite common, most of the time it is just to check out what they have. I called mra yesterday and I have to call today to talk to Ivan, but so far it seems they just carry the normal variety of fish. I can buy that stuff around me for cheaper when you include tolls and gas

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
I didn't say every fish would be cheaper, but for instance if you want lets say a yellow tang. They are normally 40 bucks in NJ on average maybe 50 for arguments sake. If they are 25-30 at mra then add the 12 bucks onto the 25, now the fish is 37, now add the turnpike tolls, for me it is roughly 6 bucks each way, now the fish is at 49 add in the gas and you are over the 40-50 dollar fish in NJ. I'm not pointing anyone out or trying to argue with anyone, just stating the facts. Out of curiosity where was this 329 emperor, no need to name the store just north south central?

d5332

Advanced Reefer
As the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding.
Every time I go to MRA I drop over $200, you just can?t help it, the prices are so cheap that you just can?t help it. For the price of one fish elsewhere you walk out with a box full of bags, stocking your tank made easy.
MRA does not need me to be their cheerleader, go browse their tanks for an hour and watch the cash register, 9 out of 10 people walk out with multiple purchases, usually with a huge Styrofoam box to aid in the carrying of so many bags!!!!!!!
You will not find cheaper retail prices anywhere, I have tried.
My current stock that I got from MRA:
Flame Angel $28
Yellow Tang $20
Purple Fire fish $12
Powder Blue $35
Blond Naso $35
Cleaner Shrimp $15
Chromis $2.50
Fox Face $20
Bartlett Anthias $25
And a whole bunch of other stuff and my list is just too long; I have 57 fish in my 120g. Have I mentioned that when you visit MRA and buy a few hundred dollars the Management usually helps you out with additional discounts that if you must can be interpreted as reimbursement for your toll and gallon of gas.
NOTE: don?t be alarmed by the number of fish I have, 50 Mangroves, GFO, Macro and Vodka have my tank with 0 Phos and 0 Nitrates.

Alfredo De La Fe

No, it's not a dumb statement. There are very few stores in NYC and many of the stores have developed serious "issues", we end up having to take a drive over the bridge 75% of the time. I would bet that at least 25% of the sales for the major stores in NJ close to NYC come from NY residents.

As was mentioned in another thread, very little money is made from dry goods. I usually order my dry goods online because they are cheaper and I have a bigger/better variety available or go to Petco where they are dirt cheap. (Granted, I would certainly pay a small premium to support a GOOD LFS- but I have not found many over the years)

Alfred

That is a dumb statement that NJ stores will be hurting. Do you think the people that live in NJ don't have tanks? Most people in NJ are not going to drive over an hour and pay 20-30 dollars in tolls plus gas money an a consistent basis. That defeats the purpose of saving money in the first place. Yes I would assume plenty of NJ reefers will check out this shop, but I don't see many of them making it a regular stop, especially when you need salt or other dry goods.

Alfredo De La Fe

A few tips- Apply for the EZ-Pass commuter pass program, it only costs about $3 to cross the bridge (MUST apply via NJ EZ-Pass) if you have 4 people in the car!

I saw YELLOW TANGS for $50 at one of the NJ stores people speak highly of. I left disgusted with the prices and the condition of their fish and tanks overall.

For me it is not all about price. A big part of it is being made to feel welcome and little things like hearing a store employee ask a customer about their tank BEFORE bagging a fish. More than anything, this is why MRA is EARNING my business.

I used to buy fish for comparable prices to MRA from a vendor in Westchester- but I had some bad experiences the last several times because the livestock is not cared for properly AND I was not made to feel very welcome. Last time I was there I had to keep asking for attention- imagine that, business is so good that you ignore paying customers! (I was the only customer in the place!)

Alfred

I am not getting into it with you.

In the last month I've visited 7 fish stores in NJ.

$329 for the Emperator was in NJ, I saw it with my own eyes, NOT ORANGE TAIL.

$50 for the purple fire fish I saw that as well.

$80 for the copperband and it was small/med.

$70+ for the yellow belly was tiny.

THEY ARE ALL SPONSORS ON THIS FORUM but again I will not get into it with you nor do I blame stores for setting the prices they do, not my business.

But I do ask, if you can get live stock cheaper than Maximum Reefs Aquatics in NJ, please please please tell us all where so that I can avoid paying the $12.00, please tell me where this mystery NJ store is because I have not seen it and I have been everywhere except South NJ.

THANK YOU MAXIMUM REEF AQUATIC FOR MAKING THIS HOBBY AFFORDABLE.

Please do not unless it is to disclose this cheap NJ store that you speak of.

I didn't say every fish would be cheaper, but for instance if you want lets say a yellow tang. They are normally 40 bucks in NJ on average maybe 50 for arguments sake. If they are 25-30 at mra then add the 12 bucks onto the 25, now the fish is 37, now add the turnpike tolls, for me it is roughly 6 bucks each way, now the fish is at 49 add in the gas and you are over the 40-50 dollar fish in NJ. I'm not pointing anyone out or trying to argue with anyone, just stating the facts. Out of curiosity where was this 329 emperor, no need to name the store just north south central?

then again - who goes to MRA for just one fish...esp a yellow tang??? :duh: :biggrinpa

Alfredo De La Fe

Well, I went there just to meet Rafa and his manager. A bunch of very nice guys! All I bought were two "ninja star" snails and koralia circulation pump while I was there.

I am glad I went. Turns out Rafa started out as a hobbyist that got burned by the same dealers I got burned with when I first started with a "serious" reef tank. His primary concern is that customers leave happy. He trains his people to ask certain questions to be sure that customers are not buying animals that are not suitable for their tanks. As far as I am concerned, that just increased my respect for him and he has earned a loyal customer.

Alfred

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Well i have to give MRA a lot of credit for there success and bringing this hobby back to an affordable hobby. As a past vendor i have an idea of how much these animals cost at wholesale price and i have to say that the prices there offering is amazing. The tricky part is hopefully they will be able to keep there prices low which would continue to give them much success and will hopefully force prices down abroad if other store want to compete. If not, They will continue to be the King Of New York Store.

Way to go MRA.

henrystyle

Bad Mutha Shut Your mouth
I just went to mra yesterday for the first time. The nicest/cheapest fish store I've been to in a longtime. I dropped $160 easy. All fish looked healthy and the selection was huge. No empty tank there. Well worth the drive. We all know in this hobby it doesn't matter how far a store is. If that store has what you want for the right price your going to take a drive. pay tolls, gas and all.. It is what it is..
ps: going back for my baby blonde naso. lol

Mra is what I needed being that my tank was just wiped out by Sandy.. Much props to them...

I was there sunday, it's my favorite store, they treated me with respect, before knowing that I was a member of M/R, after that Frank was even more eager to help me with whatever I needed it. I was pleasantly surprised. I was told that I must meet meet Ivan. Can't wait.

henrystyle

Bad Mutha Shut Your mouth
Idea for next years sale...

Next year they should let people in the store 1 customer at a time instead of the store being packed to capacity.. Once you come in, show your id and sign the attendance list. Once you leave thats it. No re-entry. Everyone forms a line outside the store. Less confusion...Less clutter.

And for the Asian guy that I heard bought numerous livestock and then decided to sell it at a higher price in the alley behind MRA, thats F----- Up. If that was my store I would have kicked your boxes and put holes in every one of your bags... Major disrespect!
Always someone trying to take advantage of someones niceness. They where lucky that I was not there. I hate people like that!

And for the Asian guy that I heard bought numerous livestock and then decided to sell it at a higher price in the alley behind MRA, thats F----- Up. If that was my store I would have kicked your boxes and put holes in every one of your bags... Major disrespect!
Always someone trying to take advantage of someones niceness. They where lucky that I was not there. I hate people like that!
this is a long thread, so I may have missed it, but did someone actually say it was an Asian guy? I believe the poster restated that the person 'selling' may have just been dividing up purchases made with a friend or 2.
At any rate, it seems that 'most/many' people left satisfied, and will be back... and compared to someone getting trampled at Walmart's Black Friday sale, we all survived without wounds and with fish... MRA did a great job, that hopefully will be even better next time!...no need to 'kick any boxes'!

Alfredo De La Fe

I was giving the benefit of the doubt, but it looked like he was selling stuff because people on their way in to the store were stopping to see what he had...

Alfred

this is a long thread, so I may have missed it, but did someone actually say it was an Asian guy? I believe the poster restated that the person 'selling' may have just been dividing up purchases made with a friend or 2.
At any rate, it seems that 'most/many' people left satisfied, and will be back... and compared to someone getting trampled at Walmart's Black Friday sale, we all survived without wounds and with fish... MRA did a great job, that hopefully will be even better next time!...no need to 'kick any boxes'!

Idea for next years sale...

Next year they should let people in the store 1 customer at a time instead of the store being packed to capacity.. Once you come in, show your id and sign the attendance list. Once you leave thats it. No re-entry. Everyone forms a line outside the store. Less confusion...Less clutter.

Very good idea regarding the line for next year.

As for the guy selling outside the store, how do you even know he is selling outside the store and not dividing what he brought with his friend, you weren't there. And selling at higher price, that's just your assumption, don't make it sound as if it's a fact.

As for the store, it's definetly a great store to visit. Will definetly go back.....great service, great price, and great location.

Alfredo De La Fe

I also did not "describe" the guy in any of my posts. The guy I posted about, my wife saw. She came to me while I was waiting to be helped and said: "Hey, what about that guy selling stuff in the back?" I popped my head out the door and saw him showing stuff to people, people stopping by him before walking in through the door. I shook my head and told her that I would not do that, that it was wrong. I then told the young woman behind the counter what was going on and left it at that.

Like I said, he very well may have made some purchases for others or he may have been showing off his purchases and people had money in hand because they were trying to entice him to sell something they really wanted, for all I know he was unwavering in his stand not to part with his prized new purchases... But I am kind of stretching the benefit of the doubt here...

Alfred

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Did you guys hear about the guy that bought $2 chromis and was trading them at Dunkin Donuts for Frosted Sprinkled Donuts???? Insane.

The only ppl that I saw outside of the store sifting through their purchases were ppl that were separating their stuff from their friends. Many ppl went with Friends and simply made one huge purchase and then took home what each individually paid for.

let's not make stuff up and throw people under the bus for what you 'think' they're doing.

Dace

Advanced Reefer
I was there sunday, it's my favorite store, they treated me with respect, before knowing that I was a member of M/R, after that Frank was even more eager to help me with whatever I needed it. I was pleasantly surprised. I was told that I must meet meet Ivan. Can't wait.
He's the coolest (Ivan)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: